Tellisford, an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Telsford
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1539
Parishes adjacent to Tellisford
- North Bradley Christ Church
- Beckington with Standerwick
- Farleigh Hungerford
- Norton St Philip
- North Bradley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TELLISFORD, or Telsford, a parish in Frome district, Somerset; 3 miles S by E of Freshford r. station. Post town, Beckington, under Bath. Acres, 757. Real property, 1,188. Pop., 119. Houses, 23. There is a fulling-mill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £173. Patron, the Rev. W. Baker. The church was recently restored.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
TELLISFORD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Frome, hundred of Wellow, E. division of Somerset, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Frome; containing 150 inhabitants. The parish is separated from Wiltshire by the river Frome, here crossed by a bridge, and comprises 717a. 2r., of which 278 acres are arable, 356 meadow and pasture, 45 park land, and 38 wood. About a third part of the village was destroyed by fire in 1785 The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 1. 0½., and in the gift of the incumbent, the Rev. C. W. Baker : the tithes have been commuted for £150, and there is a parsonage-house, with a glebe of 59 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Civil Registration District: Frome
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Frome
Poor Law Union: Frome