Somerton is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Somerset.
Other places in the parish include: Somerton Earl, Somerton Door, Somerton Borough, Mildney, Midney, Hurcott, Highbrooks, and Catsgore.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1697
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Long Sutton
- Sock Dennis
- High Ham
- Compton Dundon
- Charlton Adam
- Charlton Mackrell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SOMERTON, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Somerset. The town stands on an eminence adjacent to the river Cary, 5 miles ENE of Langport r. station; was a residence of the West Saxon kings, and gave name to Somersetshire; suffered devastation by the Danes in 877; had anciently a castle, in which King John of France was confined; is now a seat of petty-sessions; and has a post-office under Taunton, a banking office, two chief inns, a town hall, an ancient market cross, a recent police station, a decorated English church, three dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £30 a year, a national school, alms houses with £50 a year, charities £59, a weekly market on Tuesday, and nine annual fairs. The parish includes the tythings of S.-Borough, S.-Earl, and Hurcott, and the hamlets of S.-Door, Catsgore, Highbrooks, and Midney. Acres, 6,925. Real property, £11,973. Pop., 2,206. Houses, 480. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £279. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The sub-district contains nine parishes, and is in Langport district. Acres, 20,744. Pop., 5,797. Houses, 1,266. The hundred comprises 24,917 acres. Pop., 5,929. Houses, 1,271.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Langport
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Ilchester
Poor Law Union: Langport
Hundred: Pitney; Somerton