Shipham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHIPHAM, a village and a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset. The village stands on a slope of Black down, among the Mendip hills, 2½ miles NNE of Axbridge, and 5½ S by E of Yatton r. station; and has a post-office under Bristol, and cattle fairs on 27 April and 17 Nov. The parish comprises 766 acres. Rated property, £1,019. Pop. in 1851, 610; in 1861, 520. Houses, 123. The property is much divided. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Wells. Lead and zinc mines are here, but have ceased to be worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £135. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church was rebuilt in 1842. There are a national school, a men’s club, and an endowed female club.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Axbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Axbridge
Poor Law Union: Axbridge