Rodney Stoke is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset.
Alternative names: Rodney Stoke, Stoke Gifford
Other places in the parish include: Draycott.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1654
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist
- Glastonbury St Benedict
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RODNEY-STOKE, a village and a parish in Wells district, Somerset. The village stands under the Mendip hills, 5 miles NW of Wells r. station; has a post-office under Weston-super-Mare; and gave the title of Baron, in 1782, to Admiral Rodney. The parish contains a1so part of Draycott hamlet, and comprises 2,345 acres. Real property, £4,030. Pop., 323. Houses, 65. The property is subdivided. The Mendip hills here, especially a peak called Stoke-Knoll, rise with great boldness and beauty. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £339. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is later English, and contains monuments of the Rodney family. There are a Church school, and charities £303.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wells
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Axbridge
Poor Law Union: Wells