Queen Camel Somerset Family History Guide

Queen Camel is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset. 

Alternative names: East Camel, Queen Camel

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1639
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

  • South Barrow
  • Sparkford
  • Weston Bampfylde
  • Sutton Montis
  • Marston Magna
  • West Camel
  • Babcary

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CAMEL (Queen), a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands near the river Yeo, on an affluent of that river, 1 mile SW of Sparkford r. station, and 6 ENE of Ilchester; and has a post office under Taunton. Fairs are held at it on 11 June and 25 Oct.; and a sulphurous spring, of some note, is a mile to the west. The parish comprises 2,498 acres. Real property, £4,975. Pop., 734. Houses, 152. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £222. Patron, P. S. J. Mildmay, Esq. The church is very good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £11.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].


County: Somerset
Civil Registration District: Wincanton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Merston
Poor Law Union: Wincanton
Hundred: Catsash
Province: Canterbury