North Petherton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset.
Other places in the parish include: Town Denison, Woolmersdon, West Newton, Weolmersdon, Tuckerton, Bankland, Shearston, Petherton Limit, Moorland, Huntworth, and Buckland Fee.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- West Monkton
- Northmoor Green
- Creech St Michael
- North Newton
- Bridgwater Holy Trinity
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PETHERTON (North), a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Somerset. The village stands 1½ mile W of the Taunton canal, and 2½ S by W of Bridgewater r. station; consists of a main street, and a few smaller streets; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Bridgewater, and fairs on 1 May and Monday before 13 Nov. The parish includes the chapelry of North Newton, the tythings of Petherton-Limit, Town-Denison, Buckland-Fee, and Woolmersdon, and the hamlets of Huntworth, West Newton, Shearston, Tuckerton, Moorland, and Bankland; extends eastward beyond the river Parret; and is in Bridgewater district. Acres, 10, 336. Real property, £20, 506. Pop. in 1851, 3, 845; in 1861, 3, 943. Houses, 825. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Maunsel Grange, belongs to Sir A. F. A. Slade, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £900. Patron, the Rev. J. W. Robinson. The church is fine later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with two porches and a lofty tower; and has a pulpit resting on the shoulders of a human figure carved in stone. The p. curacies of North Newton and North-moor-Green are separate benefices. There are national schools, a British school, a school endowment of £46 a year, and charities £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PETHERTON, NORTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bridgwater, hundred of North Petherton, W. division of Somerset, 3¼ miles (S. by W.) from Bridgwater; containing 3759 inhabitants, and comprising 10,500 acres. The navigable river Parret, the Bridgwater and Taunton canal, and the Bristol and Exeter railway, pass through the parish. The village consists of a well-built street on the road from Bridgwater to Taunton; it had formerly a large market for corn, and two considerable fairs are still held for cattle and pedlery, on May 1st and the Monday before November 30th. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £27. 7. 11.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. J. Toogood; impropriators, the landowners. The great tithes have been commuted for £1018. 16., and the vicarial for £896. 16.; £70 also are payable to the incumbent of North Newton, a chapelry in the parish. The church is a fine structure with a lofty and very handsome tower, in the later English style. At Northmoor-Green is a district chapel dedicated to St. Peter and St. John, consecrated in October 1844: the living is in the Vicar’s gift. Thomas Wroth, in 1721, bequeathed £500 for clothing and educating twenty boys. The celebrated sculptor, John Bacon, was descended from a family who possessed the estate of Maursell, in this parish; and several of the name lie buried in the church, where are monuments to their memory.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Somerset Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Somerset
- Civil Registration District: Bridgwater
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Taunton
- Diocese: Bath and Wells
- Rural Deanery: Bridgwater
- Poor Law Union: Bridgwater
- Hundred: Andersfield; North Petherton
- Province: Canterbury