Isle Abbots is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset.
Other places in the parish include: Woodlands, Woodland, and Stewley.
Alternative names: Ile Abbots, Isle Abbotts
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1593
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist
- Isle Brewers
- Curry Mallet
- North and South Bradon
- Buckland St Mary
- Beer Crocombe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ISLE-ABBOTTS, a village and a parish in Langport district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Isle, 6 miles SSW of Langport r. station; and has a post office under Taunton. The parish contains also the tything of Stewley, and the hamlet of Woodlands. Acres, 1,935. Real property, £2,963. Pop., 397. Houses, 82. The manor belongs to the duchy of Cornwall; and much of the land, to the Uttermare family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £100. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is decorated English, with a later English tower; and comprises nave, aisles, chancel, transept, and S porch. There is a Baptist chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Langport
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Taunton
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Crewkerne
Poor Law Union: Langport
Hundred: Abdick and Bulstone