Ilton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset.
Other places in the parish include: Ilford, Hurcott, and Ashford.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1642
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1598
- Seavington St Mary
- Isle Abbots
- North and South Bradon
- Shepton Beauchamp
- Stocklynch Magdalen
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ILTON, a village and a parish in Chard district, Somerset. The village stands adjacent to the Chard canal, 2 miles NNW of Ilminster r. station; and has a post office under Ilminster. The parish contains also the hamlets of Ashford, Hurcott, and Ilford. Acres, 1,719. Real property, £3,479. Pop., 492. Houses, 105. The manor belongs to Lady Egremont. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £123. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is decorated English and early perpendicular; was restored in 1860; and consists of nave, N aisle, transept, chancel, and chancel aisle, with tower and spire. Charities, £60.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Chard
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Ilton
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Crewkerne
Poor Law Union: Chard
Hundred: Abdick and Bulstone