Batheaston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset. St Catherine is a chapelry of Batheaston.
Alternative names: Bath Easton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1634
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1598
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- St Catherine
- Cold Ashton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BATHEASTON, a parish and a subdistrict in Bath district, Somerset. The parish lies on the river Avon, near the Fosse way, 1½ mile N by E of Bathampton r. station, and 2½ NE of Bath. It has a ferry to Bathampton, and a post office under Bath. Acres, 1,863. Real property, £11,106. Pop., 1,698. Houses, 353. The property is much subdivided. Lines of houses and numerous villas make the south-western part suburban to Bath. The manor belonged to the Saxon kings, and the church was early appropriated to Bath abbey. Solsbury hill, 600 feet high has traces of a circular camp supposed to have been used by the Saxons in their siege of Bath. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of St. Catherine, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £298. Patron, Christ Church college, Oxford. The church is perpendicular English; was partly rebuilt in 1860; and contains a tablet to the Rev. J. Conybeare, the Anglo-Saxon scholar, who was several years vicar. There are a church at St. Catherines, Wesleyan and Moravian chapels, a national school, and charities £35. The subdistrict comprises Soper's farm and eight parishes. Acres, exclusive of Soper's farm, 9,819. Pop., 6,989. Houses, 1,374.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Bath
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bath and Wells (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Bath
Poor Law Union: Bath
Hundred: Bath Forum; Hampton and Claverton