Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Almsford
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1554
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1598
Parishes adjacent to Ansford
- Castle Cary
- Wyke Champflower
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALMSFORD, or Ansford, a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; adjacent to Castlecary, the river Brue, and the East Somerset railway. Post Town, Castlecary. Acres, 844. Real property, returned with contiguous parishes. Rated property, £1,828. Pop., 306. Houses, 69. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £297. Patron, F. Woodford, Esq. The church was restored in 1861, at a cost of about £1,000.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Almsford (Ansford) (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Catsash, E. division of Somerset, ¾ of a mile (N.) from Castle-Cary; containing 293 inhabitants, and comprising 844a. 1r. 18p. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £7. 12. 1.; patron and rector, Rev. George Thomas Chamberlaine. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £215, and the glebe consists of 60 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a small neat structure.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Wincanton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Cary
Poor Law Union: Wincanton