Alford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset.
Parish registers begin: 1758 (BTs from 1575)
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker
Parishes adjacent to Alford
- Castle Cary
- North Barrow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALFORD, a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Brue, near Castlecary r. station, 8 miles SE of Glastonbury. It has a post office under Bath. A chalybeate spring in its neighbourhood was formerly much resorted to, but is now neglected. The parish comprises 722 acres. Real property, with Lovington and Wheathill, £3,793. Pop., 109. Houses, 21. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Hornblotton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £788. Patron, the Rev. J. G. Thring. The church is early perpendicular of the time of Henry VI.; with very fine features of structure and carving.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alford, 1 mile N.W. Castle-Carey. P. 90.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Somerset
- Civil Registration District: Wincanton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells
- Diocese: Bath and Wells
- Rural Deanery: Cary
- Poor Law Union: Wincanton
- Hundred: Catsash
- Province: Canterbury