Abbas Combe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset.
Other places in the parish include: Temple Combe, Templecombe, and Temple Coombe.
Alternative names: Templecombe, Abbas and Temple Combe, Combe Abbas and Templecombe
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1563
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Abbas Combe
- Buckhorn Weston
- Kington Magna
The National Gazetteer 1868
ABBAS COMBE and TEMPLE COMBE, a par. in the hund. of Horethorne, union of Wincanton, in the co. of Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Wincanton. The living is a rect. in the dioc. of Bath and Wells, val. £398, in the patron, of the Rev. T. Fox.
Source: The National Gazetteer: a Topographical Dictionary of the British Islands compiled from the latest and best sources and illustrated with a complete county atlas and numerous maps. Vol. 1. Virtue & Co. London. 1868.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
ABBAS-COMBE, or TEMPLE-COMBE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Horethorne, E. division of Somerset, 4 ½ miles (S. by W.) from Wincanton, on the road to Blandford; containing 461 inhabitants. It derived the name of Temple-Combe from the military order of Knights Templars, who had an establishment here, which at the dissolution possessed a revenue of £128. 7. 9. The parish comprises by measurement 1884 acres of land, and contains good building stone of the granite species, and limestone, both of which are quarried. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 4 ½., and in the gift of the Rev. Thomas Fox : the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £370, and the glebe consists of 38 acres. The church exhibits the unusual spectacle of a tower on the south side of the nave. There is a place of worship for Independents; and two schools are supported chiefly by subscription. Some remains of the chapel attached to the old priory-house are still to be seen.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom 1808
ABBAS-COMBE, a parish in the hundred of Horethorne, Somerset, 4 miles from Milbourn-Port, and 112 from London; containing 83 houses and 425 inhabitants. It is a rectory, value 9l. 9s. 4d. The Froom canal passes through it
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
- County: Somerset
- Civil Registration District: Wincanton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells
- Diocese: Bath and Wells
- Rural Deanery: Merston
- Poor Law Union: Wincanton
- Hundred: Horethorne
- Province: Canterbury