The County of Somerset

Somerset is bounded, North by Gloucestershire, the Bristol Channel, and the Severn, East by Wiltshire and Dorsetshire, South by Dorsetshire, and West by Devonshire. It is 68 miles long, and 47 broad, and is divided into 40 Hundreds — Abdick and Bulston, Andersfield, Bath Forum, Bempstone, Brent with Wrington, Bruton, Cannington, Carhampton, Catash, Chew and Chewton, Crewkerne, North-Currey, Ferris-Norton, Frome, Glaston-twelve-Hides, Hampton and Claverton, Hartcliffe and Bedminster, Horethorne, Houndsborough, Huntspil and Puriton, Keynsham, Kilmersdon, Kingsbury (East and West), Martock, Mells and Leigh, Milverton, North-Petherton, South-Petherton, Pitney, Portbury, Somerton, Stone, Taunton and Taunton-Dean, Tintinhull, Wellow, Wells-Forum, Whitestone, Whitley, Williton and Free-Manners, Winterstoke. Rivers; the Lower-Avon, the Brue, and the Parret. There are 35 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Bath and Wells, and in the Western Circuit. It contains 1642 square miles, or 1,050,880 acres. Population, 435,982

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Somerset Towns & Villages

Abbots-Leigh Somerset The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Holy Trinity Church, Abbots Leigh
Holy Trinity Church, Abbots Leigh (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Abbots-Leigh, a parish in the hund. of Portbury, union of Bedminster, Somersetshire. Living, a curacy not in charge, annexed to the vicarage of Bedminster, in the archd. of Bath and dio. of Bath and Wells; gross income £78. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Sarum. Pop., in 1801, 292; in 1831, 360. Houses 44. Acres 2,150. A. P. £4,170. Poor rates, in 1837, £115. Continue reading “Abbots-Leigh Somerset The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840”

Farleigh Hungerford or Montfort Somerset Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland Gorton 1833

English: St. Leonards, Farleigh Hungerford. A ...
English: St. Leonards, Farleigh Hungerford. A view looking northwest across the churchyard of St.Leonards church, Farleigh Hungerford. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Farley Hungerford, or Montfort, co. Somerset.

P. T. Bath (106) 7 m. SE b S. Pop. 174.

A parish in the hundred of Wellow, seated in a well-wooded and most delightful part of the county, said to derive its name from the fairleys, or meadows; living, a dis. rectory in the archdeaconry of Wells and diocese of Bath and Wells; valued in K. B. 8l. 11s. 8d; church ded. to St. Leonard; patron (1829) J. Houlton, Esq.  Continue reading “Farleigh Hungerford or Montfort Somerset Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland Gorton 1833”

Fairfield Somerset Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland Gorton 1833

English: Fairfield House.
English: Fairfield House. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Fairfield, co. Somerset. P. T. Bridgewater (139) 7 m. NW. Pop. with Stogursley. A hamlet in the parish of Stoke Courcy and hundred of Williton and Freemanners, surrounded by very delightful scenery. The mansion-house is a fine large structure, which was rebuilt in the sixteenth century, the original having been then demolished. Here was formerly a handsome chapel, founded in the reign of Edward I., but as no traces of its site are discoverable, it is supposed to have been demolished at the same period as the old mansion-house.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.