Wrockwardine

Wrockwardine, Shropshire, view from by the Old School House (left) towards St Peter's Church.

Wrockwardine, Shropshire

Wrockwardine is an extensive parish in the diocese of Lichfield, archdeaconry of Salop, rural deanery of Wrockwardine, and hundred of South Bradford, and comprises the hamlets of Admaston, Allscot, Bratton, Burcot, Charlton, Clottley, Leaton, Long Lane, and Walcot. The village lies between the high road and the railway some 10 miles east from Shrewsbury and 2 from Wellington. The area of the parish is 4,565 acres, and the population in 1901 was 1,139.

Source: Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. VIII (1907). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

Parish church: St Peter

Parish registers begin: 1591

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Wrockwardine

  • Rodington
  • Wroxeter
  • Little Wenlock
  • Longdon upon Tern
  • Ercall Magna
  • Eyton on the Weald Moors
  • Uppington
  • Wellington

Historical Descriptions

Allscott Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Allscott. A township in the parish of Wrockwardine, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 2 ½ miles north-west of Wellington.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Admaston Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Admaston. A township in the parish of Wrockardine [sic], and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. Admaston is justly celebrated for its Spa, whose waters are highly recommended by eminent physicians. The upper spring, containing a large portion of muriate of soda or common salt, with a small quantity of muriated lime, the usual ingredients of seawater, are found exceedingly beneficial in giving a salutary stimulus to the stomach, obviating costiveness, and deterging acrid sordes.

It will operate still more strongly in giving tone to the weakened habit, the water being strongly impregnated with iron; and the same air as from the spring at Buxton being emitted from it, similar advantages may be derived from its use in correcting dyspepsia, and invigorating the stomach and bowels. Its efficacy in scrofulous affections and in those diseases of the skin which have been erroneously denominated scorbutick, has been proved by long experience.

The lower spring contains no iron, but a much larger quantity of muriatick salt, and is strongly impregnated with that air which has rendered the Harrowgate waters so justly celebrated. It is, therefore, equally useful in cutaneous disorders and in destroying worms.

The external use of the warm water having been found greatly to promote the cure in cutaneous cases, suitable accommodations for this purpose are provided. Admaston is situated in an open and highly salubrious spot, and the surrounding country is variegated, rich, and picturesque. 10 miles east of Shrewsbury, 15 miles north-west of Bridgnorth, 1 mile from Wellington.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Bratton Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bratton. A township in the parish of Wrockwardine, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. About 1 ½ miles north north-west of Wellington

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Burcot Wrockwardine Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Burcot. A township in the parish of Wrockwardine, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 2 miles west of Wellington

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Charlton or Chorlton Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Charlton or Chorlton. A township in the parish of Wrockwardine, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 3 miles west of Wellington

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Clotley Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Clotley. A township in the parish of Wrockwardine, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 2 miles south-west of Wellington

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Cluddley Shropshire Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Cluddley, a township in Wrockwardine parish, Salop; 1 mile SW of Wellington. Pop., 106.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Wrockwardine Parish Registers

Wrockwardine Parish Registers 1591-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. VIII (1907)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Wrockwardine Parish Registers 1591-1812

Transcriptions

Wrockwardine Baptisms and Burials 1790 to July 1791
Wrockwardine Baptisms and Burials 1788 to 1789

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Wellington (Shropshire)
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Newport
  • Poor Law Union: Wellington
  • Hundred: South Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury