Woolstaston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: Wolstaston
Parish church: St. Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin: 1601
Parishes adjacent to Woolstaston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WOOLSTASTON, a parish in Church-Stretton district, Salop; 1¼ mile WSW of Leebotwood r. station, and 3¼ N of Church-Stretton. Post town, Church-Stretton. Acres, 843. Real property, £810. Pop., 64. Houses, 13. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £162. Patron, the Rev. F. H. W. Whitmore. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Woolstaston, a parish in the hund. of Condover, union of Church-Stretton, county of Salop; 10½ miles south-south-west of Shrewsbury. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; certified at £5, returned at £130; gross income £165. Tithes commuted in 1840; aggregate amount £145 7s. 5d. Patron, in 1841, W. W. Whitmore, Esq. Charities, in 1830, £1 14s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £11 6s. Acres 800. Houses 16. A. P. £519. Pop., in 1801, 101 ; in 1831, 89.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Wolstaston Parish Registers 1601-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. I (1900)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Poll Book 1865, Woolstaston, Shropshire
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Church Stretton Polling District
Woolstaston, Parish of
1401 Everal Richard
1402 George Samuel
1403 Heighway Robert
Woolstaston Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Woolstaston is a village and parish, 1 mile from the Leebotwood station, and 169 from London, in the Southern division of the county, Condover division of the hundred of Condover, union of Church Stretton, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Michael and All Angels is a small stone building; there are two handsome stained glass memorial windows. The extraordinary escape of the rector of this parish from his night in the snow on the 29th January, 1865, is worthy of remark. The living is a rectory, yearly value £144, in the gift of the Rev. F. H. Wolryche Whitmore, M.A. The Rev. F. H. Wolryche Whitmore, M.A., is the principal landowner and lord of the manor. The charities amount to £1 1s. yearly. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay. The area is 843 acres; the population in 1861 was 64; gross estimated rental, £1,024; rateable value, £956.
Letters are received through Leebotwood from Shrewsbury.
Carr Rev. Edmund Donald, M.A.
Clee William, farmer
Everall Richard, farmer
George Samuel, miller, Old Walk mills
Heighway Robert, farmer
Howles Richard, farmer
Hughes Thomas, farmer
Wigley Margaret, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Church Stretton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Wenlock
- Poor Law Union: Church Stretton
- Hundred: Condover
- Province: Canterbury