Whixall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1776 from Prees Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1758
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Whixall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WHIXHALL, a chapelry, with a village, in Prees parish, Salop; 1½ mile W by N of Prees r. station, and 4 N by E of Wem. It has a post-office under Whitchurch. Pop., 978. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield-Value, £120. Patron, the Vicar of Prees. The church was reported in 1859 as bad. There is an Independent chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Whixall, a chapelry in the parish of Prees, Whitchurch division of the hund. of Bradford, union of Wem, county of Salop ; 4 miles north by east of Wem, near the Ellesmere canal. Living, a perpetual curacy, subordinate to the vicarage of Prees. Here is an Independent church, formed in 1808. A few poor children are here taught on an endowment of £2 per annum. Acreage with the parish. Houses 186. Pop., in 1831, 957.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
The Register of Prees, Whixall Independent Chapel 1805-1823
Shropshire parish registers : Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William
Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Wem
- Probate Court: Court of the Prebend of Prees or Pipe Minor
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
- Poor Law Union: Wem
- Hundred: North Bradford
- Province: Canterbury