Whitton Shropshire Family History Guide

Whitton is a chapelry of Burford Ancient Parish in Shropshire.

Parish church: St Mary the Virgin

Parish registers begin: 1825

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Whitton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WHITTON, a township-chapelry in Burford parish, Salop; 3 miles NNW of Tenbury r. station. Post town, Tenbury. Pop., 82. Houses, 16. The living is annexed to Burford.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Whitton, a township in the parish of Burford, hund. of Overs, union of Tenbury, county of Salop; 3½ miles north-west by north of Tenbury. Tithes of Whitton, with those of Vennington-Marsh and Wigmore, commuted in 1840; aggregate amount £324 17s. 5d. Acreage with the parish. Houses 14. A.P. £1,094. Pop., in 1801, 62; in 1831, 76. Poor rates, in 1838, £31 12s. See Burford.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

WHITTON, a township in the parish of BURFORD, hundred of OVERS, county of SALOP, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Tenbury, containing 68 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Poll books

Whitton Shropshire Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Cleobury Mortimer Polling District

Whitton— Township of

1764 Mills Samuel, dead

1765 Mills Samuel, dead

Directories

Burford (with Boraston, Whatmore, Nash, Tilsop, Weston, Whitton and Stoke) Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Burford is a parish, comprising the townships of Burford, Boraston, Whatmore, Nash, Tilsop, Weston, Whitton, and Stoke, five miles from Wooferton station, and eight from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Overs hundred, Tenbury union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church of St. Mary is an old building.  It contains many monuments of the Cornewall family, and the tomb of Elizabeth of Lancaster, a daughter of John of Gaunt.  The living is in three portions: the income of the first portion is about £500 per annum, the second about £270, and the third about £470; residences are attached to each of the three portions, which are all in the gift of Lord Northwick.  There are two schools, one at Burford, and the other at Nash.  There are almshouses for eight widows.  Burford takes its name from having been a fortified Roman settlement.  Lord Northwick, who is lord of the manor, Colonel Hill, R. Mills, Esq., George Pardoe, Esq., P. P. Williams, Esq., and T. H. H. Edwardes, Esq., are the chief landowners.  The soil is chiefly clay; the subsoil is marl.  There are charities, yearly value about £50.  The population of the parish in 1861 was 1,121, and of Burford township 314; the area is 5,999 acres.

Boraston is a township, with a population of 176, and a chapel of ease.  Greet is a township, with a population of 26.  Nash is a township, with a population of 269, containing a chapel of ease and a school.  Stoke, a township, with a population of 47.  Tilsop, a township, with 104.  Weston, a township, with 44.  Whitton, a township, with 82 inhabitants, and a chapel of ease.  Whatmore township is one mile and a half north-east from Burford.  The population is 61.  Gross estimated rental: Boraston, £2,201; Burford, £4,009; Greet, £1,382; Nash, £3,285; Whitton, £979; rateable value, £2,004; £3,627; £1,261; £3,008; £895 respectively.
Letters are received through Tenbury.

Burford.
Davis William, esq., Dean park
Joyce Rev. James Wayland, J.P., Rectory
Northwich [sic] Lord, Burford house
Berrington John, farmer
Charles Thomas, bricklayer
Davis James, farmer
Davis William, farmer, Dean park
Edwards Edmund, farmer, and at Little Hereford
Jones William, Rose and Crown Inn, and farmer
Lloyd Ann and George, tailors
Lloyd William, carpenter and farmer
Morris John, farmer, The Lodge
Morris John, farmer, Burford farm
Morris Thomas, farmer, Pendeall
Rawlings Mary, farmer
Rose Jame [sic], farmer, Harp fields
Smallman Henry, farmer
Smith Edmund, shoe maker
Smith Edward, blacksmith
Walker Charles Plumer, Swan hotel, and farmer
Wall Thomas, farmer and miller, Rock hill
Wheeler James, miller and farmer
Williams James, farmer

Boraston.
McLaughlin Rev. Hubert, M.A., Rectory
Bowen Samuel, farmer
Downes Thomas, blacksmith
Howells William, mason
Jones John, Peacock inn
Lucas Benjamin, brick and tile maker and farmer
Millichamp John, farmer
Morris Edward, farmer
Morris Thomas, miller, Boraston mill
Mytton Edward, farmer
Mytton William, farmer
Powell William, carpenter and farmer
Radner William, farmer
Reynolds Thomas, farmer
Simmonds Francis, carpenter
Smallman William, farmer
Smith Mrs., farmer
Stewart Charles, farmer

Nash.
Hill Col. Arthur Charles, Court of Hill
Pardoe George, Esq., J.P., Nash court
Beeman John, farmer
Bradley George, farmer
Brown William, wheelwright
Corfield Edwin, farmer
Downes Benjamin, blacksmith
Hammond Thomas, farmer
Hardwick Vincent, farmer
Holt Letitia, farmer,
Lowe Frances, farmer
Morris Edward, stone mason and builder
Morris George, farmer
Pound Philip, farmer
Radner William, farmer
Robinson George, farmer
Robinson Robert, farmer
Wilding Henry, lime burner

Stoke.
Williams Philip Penry, esq., J.P., Stoke house
Rawlings John, farmer

Tilsop.
Bailey Samuel, farmer
Hammond Thomas, Golden Lion Inn
Peade William, farmer
Starrey John, farmer
Tantram Thomas, farmer

Whatmore.
Brown Thomas, farmer
Davis Edmund, miller, Whatmore mill
Meakin Richard, farmer
Mytton James, farmer

Whitton.
Morris Mr. Thomas
Whitefoord Rev. Caleb, M.A., Rectory
Amies Richard, wheelwright
Bill Sarah, farmer
Lawley Joseph, blacksmith
Mills M., farmer
Thomas John, farmer, Whitton house
Town Benjamin, shopkeeper
Wall Thomas, farmer
Whittall Thomas, carpenter and builder
Williams Samuel, wheelwright, &c.

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Tenbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Tenbury
  • Hundred: Overs
  • Province: Canterbury