Whittington, Shropshire Family History Guide

Whittington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire. Halston, formerly extra parochial, is situated 3 ½ miles north-east of Oswestry, and is about 700 acres in extent. It now lies in the parish of Whittington
Other places in the parish include: Burghill, Daywall, Daywell, Ebnall, Fernhill, Welsh Frankton, Halston, Hengoed, Henlle, Hindford, Old Marton, and Frankton.
Parish church:
Parish registers begin: 1591; Separate registers exist for Halston: 1686
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Whittington

  • Ellesmere
  • Selattyn
  • Oswestry
  • Dudleston
  • Hordley
  • St Martin's
  • Oswestry Holy Trinity
  • West Felton

Historical Descriptions

Daywell

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Daywell, a township in Whittington parish, Salop; 2 miles NE of Oswestry. Pop., 328.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Daywell. A township in the parish of Whittington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry. 3 miles north of Oswestry.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Ebnall

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ebnall. A township in the hundred of Oswestry. 4 miles north-east by north of Oswestry.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Forton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Forton. A township in the parish of Whittington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hindford

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hindford. A township in the hundred of Oswestry.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Old Marton

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Marton (Old). A township partly in the parish of Whittington, and partly in the parish of Ellesmere, and in the hundred of Oswestry. 3 miles south-west by west of Ellesmere.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Ridges

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ridges. Upper Ridge and Lower Ridge. A township in the parish of Whittington, and in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill. Upper Ridge, 3 miles south-west of Ellesmere, Lower Ridge, 3 ½ miles south-west of Ellesmere.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Welsh Frankton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Frankton (Welsh). A township in the parish of Whittington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry. 2 ½ miles south-west of Ellesmere.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Registers

Whittington Parish Registers 1591-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of St. Asaph Vol. II (1910)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Whittington Parish Registers 1591-1812 - Archive.org

Halston Parish Registers 1686-1897

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of St. Asaph Vol. II (1910)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Halston Parish Registers 1686-1897 - Archive.org

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Oswestry
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: St Asaph
  • Rural Deanery: Montgomery
  • Poor Law Union: Oswestry
  • Hundred: Oswestry
  • Province: Canterbury