Welshampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: Welchampton, Welsh Hampton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1713
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1636
Parishes adjacent to Welshampton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAMPTON-WELSH, a parish in Ellesmere district, Salop; on the Cambrian railway, 2½ miles ENE of Ellesmere. It has a r. station. Post town, Ellesmere, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 1,570. Rated property, £1,637. Pop., 516. Houses, 120. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £139. Patron, K. Mainwaring, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1863; is in the decorated English style; and has an apsidal chancel, a bell cote over the chancel arch, and columns of polished Devonshire marble.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Hampton (Welsh). A parish in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill, a curacy, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. It formerly belonged to the Knights Templars. Part of Welshhampton is in the parish of Ellesmere. 2 ¼ miles north-east by east of Ellesmere 75 houses, 478 inhabitants.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Civil Registration District: Ellesmere
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Ellesmere
Rural Deanery: Ellesmere
Poor Law Union: Ellesmere