Sutton Shropshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Sutton by Shrewsbury
Parish church: St. John
Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1769
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Meole Brace
  • Shrewsbury Holy Trinity
  • Bayston Hill
  • Atcham
  • Shrewsbury St Chad
  • Shrewsbury Holy Cross with St Giles

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SUTTON, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; 1¾ mile S by E of Shrewsbury r. station. Post town, Shrewsbury. Acres, 730. Pop., 75. Houses, 15. There is a sulphurous spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £17. Patron, Lord Berwick.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Parish Register Transcriptions

Sutton Parish Registers Baptisms 1837 to 1868
Sutton Parish Registers Burials 1847 to 1853
Sutton Parish Registers Marriages 1838 to 1870

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Shropshire
Civil Registration District: Atcham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Hereford
Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
Poor Law Union: Atcham
Hundred: Condover
Province: Canterbury