Stowe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Weston.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1576
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1603
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOWE, a parish in the district of Knighton and county of Salop; 2 miles NE of Knighton r. station. Post town, Knighton, Radnorshire. Acres, 2,724. Rated property, £1,582. Pop., 161. Houses, 36. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £188. Patron, the Lord Chancellor.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
STOW (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Knighton, hundred of Purslow, S. division of Salop, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Knighton; containing 185 inhabitants. It comprises 2693 acres, of which 1350 are common or waste land. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £4. 7. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £204 payable to the vicar, and £48 to the warden of Gun hospital.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Stowe Shropshire Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Clun Polling District
Stowe, Parish of
2214 Banks William
2215 Bright Richard, see 1872
2210 Green Thomas
2217 Price Green Richard
2218 Price Edward Charles
2219 Steadman Richard
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Knighton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Clun
- Poor Law Union: Knighton
- Hundred: Purslow
- Province: Canterbury