Stokesay is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Aldon, Bloom and Rowton, Broom and Rowton, Whettleton, Stoke and Newton, Wettleton, and Rowton.
Parish registers begin: 1558
Parishes adjacent to Stokesay
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOKESAY, a parish, with four townships and a part, in Ludlow district, Salop; on the river Onny, and on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 1¼ mile S by E of Craven-Arms r. station, and 7 NW of Ludlow. Post town, Cravens-Arms, Shropshire. Acres, 3,567. Real property, £4,184. Pop., 559. Houses, 109. The manor belongs to Earl Craven. S. Castle is a min; and Norton is a Saxon camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £351. Patron, the Rev. J. G. D. La Touche. There is a slightly endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Stokesay, a parish in the hund. of Munslow, union of Ludlow, county of Salop; 6½ miles north west of Ludlow, on the river Onny. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £4 13s. 4d., returned at £123 3s.; gross income £340. Patron, in 1841, R. Marston, Esq. Here is a daily school, endowed with £7 8s. per annum. Acres 3,750. Houses 103. A. P. £3,531. Pop., in 1801, 512; in 1831, 529. Poor rates, in 1838, £250.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Aldon. A township in the parish of Stoke Say, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow. 5 ½ miles north-west of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Stokesay Parish Registers 1559-1837
The Register of Stokesay
Registers (and Transcript), 1559-1812, Marriages to 1837
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XVII (1920)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Stokesay, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Ludlow Polling District
Stokesay, Parish of
2731 Amies Samuel
2732 Bach Francis, 2480
2733 Back William
2734 Beddowes Richard
2735 Coston Francis, see 2483
2736 Evans Matthew, see 2543
2737 Evans Benjamin
2738 Griffiths Thomas
2739 Greame William, Esq.
2740 Hotckkiss William
2741 Jones Edward, see 277
2742 La Touche Diggs James
2743 Marston Richard
2744 Marston Richard
2745 Rock Thomas James
2746 Sheppard Jeremiah
2747 Turner Price Lloyd
2748 Woodhouse William
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Ludlow
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Munslow
- Province: Canterbury