Stirchley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1658
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1679
- Dawley Parva
- Malins Lee
- Dawley Magna
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STIRCHLEY, a parish, with a r. station, in Madeley district, Salop; on the Coalport railway, 3½ miles N of Coalport. Post town, Shiffnal. Acres, 833. Real property, £1,622. Pop., 310. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £262. Patrons, R. Phillips, Esq., and others. The church has been restored and enlarged.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Stirchley (St. James), a parish, in the union of Madeley, Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 3 miles (W by S) from Shiffnall; containing 301 inhabitants. The parish comprises 829 acres, of which 39 are common or waste land: the Shropshire canal passes through. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £6. 5. 10., and in the gift of Revel Phillips, Esq. and others: the tithes have been commuted for £190, and the glebe contains 45 ½ acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Civil Registration District: Madeley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Shifnal
Poor Law Union: Madeley
Hundred: South Bradford