Sidbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
- Glazeley and Deuxhill
- Middleton Scriven
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SIDBURY, a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop; 3¾ miles W of Hampton r. station, and 5¼ SW by S of Bridgnorth. Post town, Bridgnorth. Acres, 1,277. Rated property, £967. Pop., 60. Houses, 12. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £227. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury. The church is ancient.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Poll Book 1865, Sidbury Shropshire
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Bridgnorth Polling District
Sidbury, Parish of
877 Corfield John
878 Cresswell William Henry
879 Darby Richard Sorton
880 Massie Joseph
881 Pritchard Samuel
882 Thursfleld Richard Penan
Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
Sidbury is a parish, 6 miles from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of the Holy Trinity is an old stone building. The living is a rectory, yearly value £160, including glebe house and 34 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Earl of Shrewsbury. William Henry Cresswell, Esq., of Pickney Park, Wilts, is chief landowner, and is lord of the manor. The soil is a strong loan; the subsoil is chiefly stiff clay. The area is 1,248 acres, and the population in 1861 was 60; gross estimated rental, £1,386; rateable value, £1,306.
Letters are received through Bridgnorth.
Thursfield Rev. Richard, B.A., Rectory
Darby Richard Sorton, farmer, Hawkswood
Mapp Mary, farmer, Sidbury hall
Mapp Richard, farmer, Lower House
Massey Joseph, farmer, The Batch
Pritchard Samuel, farmer, Highland
Snow Harriet and Catherine, farmers, Upper house
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.
Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth