Shrawardine is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1645
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHRAWARDINE, a parish, with a r. station, in Atcham district, Salop; on the Potteries, Shrewsbury, and NorthWales railway, 6½ miles WNW of Shrewsbury. Post town, Montford, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 1,951. Rated property, £2,678. Pop., 161. Houses, 34. The property belongs to the Earl of Powis. A castle was built here, by Count Alan, soon after the Norman conquest; was long held, under the Crown, by the Fitz-Alans, for defence against the Welsh; was sold, in the time of Queen Elizabeth, to Lord Chancellor Bromley; was occupied by Cromwell, in the time of the civil war; and has left some remains. A recently erected building bears its name; and a considerable lake is near it. The living is a rectory, annexed to Montford.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer 1851
Shrawardine, a parish in the hund. of Pimhill, union of Atcham, county of Salop; 6 miles west by north of Shrewsbury, on the northern bank of the Severn. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £9 12s. 6d.; gross income £390. Patron, in 1841, the Earl of Powis. Here is a Sunday school. Charities, in 1830, £1 10s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £190 3s. Acres 1,530. Houses 30. A. P. £2,312. Pop., in 1801, 186; in 1831, 189.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Atcham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Shrewsbury
- Poor Law Union: Atcham
- Hundred: Pimhill
- Province: Canterbury