Shipton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1779 from chapelry in Much Wenlock Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1603
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHIPTON, a parish in Church-Stretton district, Salop; 2 miles SE of Longville r. station, and 6½ SW of Much-Wenlock. Post town, Long-Stanton, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 1,723. Real property, £2,795. Pop., 186. Houses, 31. The manor belongs to T. Mytton, Esq. S. Halland Larden Hall are chief residences. An ancient camp is near Larden. The living is a donative in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £3. Patron, T. Mytton, Esq. The church is ancient but good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer 1851
Shipton, a parish within the liberties of the town of Wenlock, county of Salop; 6 miles south-west by south of Much-Wenlock. Living, a donative curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; not in charge; gross income £3. Patron, in 1841, T. Mytton, Esq. Here is a daily school. Acres 1,570. Houses 25. A. P. £2,267. Pop., in 1801, 119; in 1831, 154. Poor rates, in 1838, £97 5s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
S is for Shipton Author: Shropshire Rambler
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Church Stretton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Wenlock
- Poor Law Union: Church Stretton
- Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough; Munslow
- Province: Canterbury