Shifnal Shropshire Family History Guide

Shifnal is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Shropshire.

Alternative names: Shiffnal, Shiffnall, Idsall

Other places in the parish include: Aston, Coppice Green, Crackleybank, Grindle, Hatton, Haughton, Hem, Innage, Oakengates, Payne’s Lane, Priorslee, Woodside, Hatton, and Ryton.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1678

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Shifnal

Historical Descriptions

Shifnal

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SHIFFNAL, a town, a parish, a sub-district, a district, and a division, in Salop. The town stands on the Shrewsbury and Birmingham railway, at the junction of a branch-line to Madeley, 17 miles E by S of Shrewsbury: was anciently called Idesall or Idsal; belonged to Morcar the Saxon; passed to successively the Dunstanvilles, the Badlesmeres, the Bohuns, the Mortimers, and the Talbots; stood originally to the W of its church, but suffered entire destruction by fire toward the end of the 15th century; was afterwards rebuilt on its present site; consists chiefly of a single street; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling place; and has a head post-office, a r. station with telegraph, a banking office, a hotel, public baths, an ancient cruciform church with central tower, three dissenting chapels, a mechanics' institute, two endowed schools with £19 and £10 a year, a workhouse, and charities £50. A weekly market is held on Tuesday; fairs are held on the first Monday of April, 5 Aug., and 23 Nov.; and industry is carried on in foundries, rolling and slitting mills, blast furnaces, paper mills, and coal and iron mines. The physician Beddoes, who died in 1808, was a native. Pop. of the town in 1861, 2,046. Houses, 423.

The parish includes Priors-Lee chapelry and two townships, and comprises 11,441 acres. Real property, £48,706; of which £25,972 are in ironworks, and £73 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 5,617; in 1861, 5,923. Houses, 1,150. The manor belongs to Lord Stafford. Haughton Hall, Aston Hall, Hatton Grange, and Deeker Hill are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £450. Patron, the Rev. J. Brooke. The vicarage of Priors-Lee is a separate benefice. The sub-district contains four parishes and a part. Acres, 23,542. Pop., 7,849. Houses, 1,556. The district includes also Albrighton sub-district, and comprises 46,053 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £4,873. Pop. in 1851, 11,483; in 1861, 11,994. Houses, 2,376. Marriages in 1863, 101; births, 441, of which 34 were illegitimate; deaths, 271, of which 91were at ages under 5 years, and 8 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,083; births, 3,329; deaths, 2,149. The places of worship, in 1851, were 15 of the Church of England, with 4,700 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 400 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 314 s.; 3 of Wesleyans, with 648 s.; 1 of New Connexion Methodists, with 150 s.; and 1 of Primitive Methodists, with 30 s. The schools were 15 public day schools, with 790 scholars; 17 private day schools, with 369 s.; and 15 Sunday schools, with 1,193 s. The division is mainly identical with the district, and forms part of Brimstree hundred. Acres, 33,489. Pop. in 1851, 9,657. Houses, 1,854.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Idsall commonly Shiffnal. A market town and parish in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry, a vicarage in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 856 houses, 4,411 inhabitants. Market on Friday; Fairs, 1st Monday in April, August 5, November 23. 18 miles south-east by east of Shrewsbury, 143 north-west of London.

Shiffnal was anciently called Idsall. It is a small town, near the boarders of Staffordshire, in the direct road from London to Shrewsbury and Holyhead. With the exception of its parish church, which is a large and interesting cruciform building, it contains little that is worthy of particular remark. Under the square central tower of the church, there were formerly four semi-circular arches, which have been transformed into elegant painted ones. On the north side, the choir has ancient, round headed windows, with Saxon mouldings. There is a fine altar, and tombs of the family of Briggs. An inscription in this church informs us that William Wakely was baptized at Idsall, or Shiffnal, May 1, 1591, and was buried at Asbaston, November 28, 1714, his age being upwards of 124; that he had lived in the reigns of eight Kings and Queens, viz., Elizabeth, James the first, Charles the first, Charles the second, James the second, William and Mary, Anne, and George the first. Attached to the south aisle is a chantry. The roof of the nave, of oak, which is said to be richly carved, has been of late entirely obscured by a plaister ceiling. In 1810, the whole church was fitted up at considerable expense.

Shiffnal is the native place of Dr. Thomas Beddoes, a man justly eminent as well for his medical skill as for his general literary talent. He was born in the year 1754, or 1755, and was educated at the free school at Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Aston

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Aston. A township in the parish of Shiffnal and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. ¾ of a mile north-east of Shiffnal. Aston Hall is the seat of J. Moultrie, esq.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Coppice Green

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Coppice Green. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. 1 mile north-east of Shiffnal.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Crachley Bank or Crackley Bank

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Crachley Bank or Crackley Bank. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. 3 miles northeast of Shiffnal.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Evelith

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Evelith. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. 1 ½ mile south of Shiffnal.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Grindle

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Grindle. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. 3 miles south of Shiffnal.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hatton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hatton. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. 109 houses, 588 inhabitants. 2 miles south-east of Shiffnal.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Haughton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Haughton. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shifnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. ½ mile north-west of Shiffnal. The residence of B. Benyon, Esq., M.P.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hem

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hem. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. 1 ½ mile south-west of Shiffnal.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Innage

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Innage. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Oaken Gates or Oaken Yates

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Oaken Gates or Oaken Yates. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. 3 ½ miles north-west of Shiffnal.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Payne’s Lane

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Payne’s Lane. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. 3 miles north-west of Shiffnal.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Priors Leigh

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Prior’s Leigh. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. Prior’s Leigh and Oaken Gate contain 367 houses, 1,851 inhabitants. 3 miles north-west of Shiffnal.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Woodside with Hatton

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Woodside with Hatton, a joint township in the parish and union of Shiffnall, Sbiffnall division of the hund. of Brimstree, county of Salop; 3 miles south-south-east of Shiffnall. Acreage with the parish. Houses 73. A. P. with parish. Pop., in 1801, with Hatton, 892; in 1831, alone, 379.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Directories

Shiffnal 1791

Is one hundred and thirty-six miles from London, twenty-six from Birmingham, twelve from Wolverhampton, eighteen from Salop, eight from Wellington, eight from Newport, ten from Bridgenorth, eight from Broseley, and five from the iron bridge.  The market is on Tuesday; and two fairs in a year, on the 5th of August and 22nd of November.  Here is a small charity-school.
In Shiffnal church is the following inscription: “William Wakely was baptized at Idsall, alias Shiffnal, May 1, 1591, and buried at Adbaston, November 28, 1714, his age one hundred and twenty-four and upwards: he lived in the reigns of eight kings and queens.” (viz. Elizabeth, James I, Charles I and II, James II. William and Mary, Anne, and George I.)

Shiffnal lies in the direct road from London to Holyhead. – The mail-coach sets out every morning for London at nine o’clock; and in the afternoon for Shrewsbury at half-past four: inside fare to London 2l 2s. outside 1l 4s – The Balloon coach every day: inside fare 1l 16s. outside 18s – Prince of Wales coach every other day: inside fare 1l 10s 6d. outside 16s. – The heavy coach, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, sets out about six o’clock in the morning: inside fare 1l 12s. outside 16s.

A wagon sets out for London every Wednesday morning, and one arrives from London the same day: inns at the Castle and Falcon, Aldersgate-street.

The following are the principal inhabitants:

Gentry, &c.
Appleby George, Esq.
Bailey Mr. John, (F.)
Beddoes Richard, Esq. (F.)
Byne Major Charles
Cuxon R. Gent. (F.)
Felton Mr. George, (F.)
Holmes Mrs.
Jones Mrs.
Owen – , Gent.
Clergy.
Dean Rev. Robert, Master of the Grammar-school
Leeke Rev. William
Morris Rev. Richard
Rogers Rev. John, Vicar
Physic.
Beddoes Thomas, M.D.
Stanner and Bennett, Surgeons and Apothecaries
Wenlock Richard, Surgeon
Yale Ann, Druggist
Young and Bailey, Surgeons and Apothecaries
Law.
Brown Gilbert, (F.) Attorney
Phillips Revel, (F.) Attorney
Slaney Moreton Aglionby, Attorney
Traders, &c.
Altree William, Baker
Amies Richard, Maltster
Bartley John, Grocer
Beresford T. (F.) Maltster
Brooke Richard, Hair-dresser
Bullock William, Cabinet-maker
Butler – , Exciseman
Cherrington W. (F.) Carrier
Cherrington William, (F.) Timber-merchant
Chune Thomas, Clockmaker
Clomson John, Taylor
Cooper Michael, (F.) Sadler
Corbet John, Grocer, Chandler, and Druggist
Cox Ann, white Lion Inn
Cox Job, Breeches-maker
Culwich William, Sadler
Downing John, Shoemaker
Duppa – , Tanner
Foxall Thomas, (F.) Skinner, Glover, and Breeches-maker
Halley George, sen. Cabinet-maker and Auctioneer
Halley George, jun. Cabinet-maker
Hammersly William, (F.) Miller and Baker
Harding Peter, Ironmonger, Chandler, and Grocer
Hassall John, Butcher
Hayward George, Staymaker
Hurd Esther, Grocer
Hurd John, (F.) Ironmonger and Grocer
Ingram John, (F.) Schoolmaster
Jones Richard, Mercer and Draper
Lawrence William, Blacksmith
Martin Samuel, Shoemaker
Masefield Barth. (F.) Hair-dresser
Masefield John, (F.) Wheelwright
Masefield, Higgins, and Co. Mercers and Drapers
Nock Sarah, Victualler
Onions Thomas, (F.) Blacksmith
Parker Joseph, Sadler & Harness-maker
Pidgeon Henry, shoemaker
Pidgeon Robert, (F.) Currier and Maltster
Price George, Angel Inn
Reynolds Joseph, (F.) Maltster
Richards Edw. Skinner and Breeches-maker
Robinson Ann, Red Lion Inn
Roden Thomas, (F.) Butcher
Rushton John, Butcher
Samprooke Hannah, Post-mistress
Scarrott Thomas, Gardener
Scarrott William, Printer & Bookseller
Skyrmsher Mytton, Grocer
Summers Richard, (F.) Maltster
Swan Benjamin, Breeches-maker
Taylor William, Maltster
Taylor Rich, (F.) Plumber & Glazier
Thomason Richard, (F.) Maltster
Wall Ann, Talbot Inn
Whitehouse John, (F.) Blacksmith and Farrier
Yates Thomas, (F.) Builder

Hamlets in the parish of Shiffnal, with the principal residents in each.

Hatton, two miles south-east from Shiffnall.
Hurd John, Gent. (F.)
Jones Samuel, (F.)
Slaney Robert, Esq. Hatton-house
Wright John

Wyke, one mile from Shiffnal.  William Rushton, (F.)

Neard, one mile from ditto.  John Smith, (F.)

Haughton, half a mile from Shifnal, Ralph Leeke, Esq. (F.)  Richard Amies, (F.)  Leonard Ward, (F.)

Drayton, one mile north from Shiffnal, on the borders of Staffordshire.  Honourable Thomas Fitzwilliams, Decker-hill.  Thomas Paddey, Esq.

Between Drayton and Newport is Bloreheath, famous for a battle fought between the houses of York and Lancaster, wherein Nevil earl of Salisbury for the former, with five thousand men only, beat Lord Audley with ten thousand men, after a most bloody engagement.  A remarkable stone cross is erected upon the spot where Lord Audley was slain; and near this heath stands Oakley, a fine seat of Sir John Chetwode, Bart.
Newport, on the borders of Staffordshire, is a little market-town where is one of the noblest foundations for a school in the whole kingdom, endowed by Mr. Adams, an haberdasher of London, to the value of seven thousand pounds.  The school is seventy feet long, twenty-two wide, and the same in height; a library, an house for both master and usher, forty pounds a-year to the first, and twenty to the other; and a garden to each house of an acre, and two acres for the boys to play in.  near it he has likewise built an alms-house; and gave five hundred and fifty pounds towards building the town-house. – There is likewise an English school in this town, of a very ancient foundation, free to all the inhabitants, worth about thirty pounds a-year, and in the gift of the crown. Newport gave the title of baron to the late Earls of Bradford, and the Earls of Shrewsbury and Gower are joint lords of the manor.  The facetious Tom Brown was a native of this town, his father being a tanner therein.
Coppice-green. John Smith, (F.) Builder
Aston-hall. John Moultrie, Esq.
Stanton. Richard Phillips, (F.)  John Roden, (F.)
Upton. Richard Langley, (F.) Windmill Inn

Priors-lee, two miles and a half from Shiffnal. Rev. Edward Roberts.  Benjamin Rowley, Proprietor of the extensive Coal-works at Pain’s Lane and Oaken Gates, near Shiffnal.
Villages near Shiffnal, with the principal inhabitants resident at each.
Kemberton, three miles south-west from Shiffnal,  Rev. George Baker, and George Wilday Hurd, Paper-maker
Beckbury, four miles from Shiffnal, on the borders of Staffordshire.
Gentry.
Bailey James, Gent.
Bettany Mr. John, (F.)
Wilks Robert, Gent.
Law.
Stubbs Walter, (F.) Attorney
Trader.
Child Peter, Staymaker
Ryton, three miles from Shiffnal.
Clergy.
Mountford Rev. Richard
Traders, &c.
Bright Francis, (F.) Shoemaker
Causer Francis, (F.) Shoemaker
Sishton Mr. George, (F.)
Harding Mr. Samuel, (F.)

Sheriff Hales, in the county of Stafford, three miles from Shiffnal.  Mr. Thomas York, (F.)
Albrighton, Shropshire, five miles from Shiffnal.  Here are fairs May 23, July 18, and November 9.
Gentry.
Bailey Mr. Thomas, (F.)
Broomall Addison, Gent. (F.)
Wood Mr. John, (F.) Whiston
Clergy.
Lawrence Rev. Mr.
Physic.
Crump George, Surgeon and Apothecary
Traders, &c.
Baddely Thomas, (F.) Clockmaker
Birch William, (F.) Taylor
Blakeway Charles, (F.) Clock and Watchmaker
Boulton James, Sadler
Bradburn William, Gardener
Brown Benjamin, (F.) Blacksmith
Causer William, Shoemaker
Duke James, (F.) Blacksmith
Evans Francis, Grocer
Harris William, Glazier
Howel John, Blacksmith
Lewis Mary, Harp Inn
Meeson Thomas, (F.) Miller and Maltster
Owen Edward, (F.) Butcher
Smith George, (F.) Maltster
Sutton Thomas, Wheelwright
Thomas Thomas, Stonemason
Thomas John, Joiner
Dunnington, four miles from Shiffnal.  Rev. John Chappel Woodhouse.
Killshal. John Bishton, (F.) and George Baylis.

Tong, three miles from Shiffnal, ten from Wolverhampton and Bridgenorth, twenty from Shrewsbury, and one hundred and thirty from London.  From hence to the curious and much-admired iron bridge over the Severn it is about eight miles.  This structure is amazingly grand.  At about six hundred yards from the castle, in the park, stands the venerable parish-church, a much-admired piece of antiquity, remarkable for having one of the largest bells in England, as well as may rich, elegant, and ancient, monuments.
Gentry.
Paine Honourable Major
Plowden Edm. Esq. (F.) Tong-castle
Traders.
Bridgewood William, Cooper
Phillips Richard, Butcher
Weston, Staffordshire, three miles from Shiffnal.  Sir Henry Bridgeman, Bart. (F.)  Rev. Rice Williams.  Samuel Smith, (F.) Wheelwright.
Beighterton.  Gustavus Younge, Surgeon
Blymhill, Staffordshire.  Rev. Mr. Dickenson
Woodhouse, near Shiffnal.  John Hammonds, (F.)

Source: Universal British Directory 1791

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Evans Arthur, Shiffnal, Salop, victualler, Oct. 15, 1830.

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Shifnal
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Shifnal
  • Poor Law Union: Shifnal
  • Hundred: Brimstree
  • Province: Canterbury