Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Sheriff Hales, Sherriff Hales, Sherrifhales with Woodcote
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1557
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1670
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodists
Parishes adjacent to Sheriffhales
Historical Descriptions of Sheriffhales
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHERIFF-HALES, a township in Shiffnal district, Salop and Stafford, and a parish partly also in Newport district, Salop. The township lies 3¼ miles N by E of Shiffnal r. station; and has a post-office under Newport, Salop. Acres of the Salop portion, 2,513; of the Stafford portion, 2,878. Real property, £2,700 and £4,594. Pop., 166 and 650. Houses, 36 and 133. The parish contains also the chapelry of Woodcote, and comprises 6,639 acres. Pop., 966. Houses, 196. The manor belongs to the Duke of Sutherland. Ironstone abounds, and there is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage, with Woodcote chapelry, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £614. Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church is tolerable. There are a chapel of ease at Woodcote, a Wesleyan chapel, and national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Sheriff-Hales, a parish partly in the Newport division of the hund. of Bradford, county of Salop, and partly in the west division of the hund. of Cuttlestone, union of Shiffnal, county of Stafford; 3 miles north-north by east of Shiffnal. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Stafford and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £11 1s. 8d.; gross income £675. Patron, in 1841, the Duke of Sutherland. Here are 4 small daily schools, and a day and Sunday National school. Charities, in 1820, £1 15s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £407 7s. Acres 7,040. Houses 208. A. P. £4,286. Pop., in 1801, 746; in 1831, 1,109.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Sheriff Hales Kellys Shropshire Directory 1891
Sheriff Hales is a township and parish, partly in this county and partly in Staffordshire; particulars of the portion in Staffordshire will be found in Kellys Directory of the latter county. Woodcote, a chapelry in this parish, entirely in the county of Salop, will be found under a separate head in this work.
The other part of Sheriff Hales which is in this county, will be found under the head of Lilleshall.
Source: Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co. 51, Great Queen Street, Lincoln’s Inn Fields, W.C. London. Published in 1891.
Family History Links
- County: Shropshire & Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Shifnal
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Brewood
- Poor Law Union: Shifnal
- Hundred: Shropshire: South Bradford; Staffordshire: West Cuttlestone
- Province: Canterbury