Shelve is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1584
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1598
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHELVE, a hamlet and a parish in Clun district, Salop. The hamlet is situated on ground nearly 500 feet above sea-level, 2 miles NE of the boundary with Wales, 2 W of the Stiper-Stones ridge, and 7½ N of Bishops-Castle r. station; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 1,285 acres. Post town, Shrewsbury. Real property, £3,079; of which £740 are in mines, and £16 in quarries. Pop., 78. Houses, 16. The manor belongs to the Rev. T. F. More. Lead mines here were worked by the Romans; and a pig of lead, bearing a Roman inscription, was not long ago discovered. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £80. Patron, the Rev. T. F. More. The church was rebuilt in 1839. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Shelve, a parish in the hund. of Chirbury, union of Clun, county of Salop; 13 miles south-west of Shrewsbury. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £2 13s. 4d., returned at £100; gross income £80. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £35. Patron, in 1841, R. B. More, Esq. Acres 1,040. Houses 14. A. P. £858. Pop., in 1801, 71; in 1831, 71. Poor rates, in 1838, £11 7s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Bishop’s Castle Polling District
Shelve, Parish of
366 Powell John
367 Powell Thomas, jun.
368 Rowson William
369 Wilkes John
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Clun
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
- Poor Law Union: Clun
- Hundred: Chirbury
- Province: Canterbury