Shawbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Acton Reynold, Besford, Wytheford Magna and Parva, Muckleton, Preston Brockhurst, and Egbolton.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1561

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Shawbury

Parish History

Shawbury

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

SHAWBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wem, partly in the liberties of Shrewsbury, partly in the hundred of Pimhill, and partly in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of Salop; containing 1079 inhabitants, of whom 279 are in the township, 7¼ miles (N. E.) from Shrewsbury. The parish comprises by measurement 7221 acres. The substrata of this and the adjoining districts contain freestone of excellent quality, and the quarries have afforded materials for most of the public buildings of the town of Shrewsbury, and for many gentlemen’s seats in the neighbourhood. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £7. 1. 5½., and in the gift of Sir Andrew Vincent Corbet, Bart., who, with Lord Hill and W. Charlton, Esq., is impropriator: the great tithes have been commuted for £436. 8., and the vicarial for £394. 12.; the glebe comprises 37 acres. The church is an ancient structure, chiefly in the Norman style, of which it contains numerous elegant details, with a handsome embattled tower in the later English style. There is a fund of £46 per annum, the rent of land devised by Elizabeth Corbet in 1702, and Robert Payne in 1738, for apprenticing children, and for the poor.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Shawbury. co. Salop.
P.T. Shrewsbury (153) 7 m. NE. Pop. of Pa. 1133. Of To. 339.
A parish partly in Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford North and partly in the hundred of Pimhill; living, a dis. vicarage in the archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry; valued in K. B. 7l. 1s. 5½d.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron (1829) William Marvin, Esq.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Acton Reynald

Shropshire Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Acton-Reynold, a township in Shawbury parish, Salop; near the river Roden, 7 miles NNE of Shrewsbury. Pop., 159.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Acton-Reynold, 1½ m. N.W. Shawbury. P. 159
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Acton-Reynald, a township, in the parish of Shawbury, union of Wem, liberty of the borough of Shrewsbury, N. division of Salop, 7 ½ miles (N. N. E.) from Shrewsbury; containing 159 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

ACTON-REYNOLD, a township in the parish of Shawbury, Shropshire; 6½ miles north-east from Shrewsbury, on the road to Whitchurch. Pop., in 1801, 177; in 1831, 173. Houses 30. Acres 690. A. P. £1,442.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Acton Reynold. A township in the parish of Shawbury, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury. 32 houses, 168 inhabitants. The seat of Andrew Corbett esq. 7 miles north-east by north of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Besford

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Besford, a township in the parish of Shawbury, hund. of Pimhill, county of Salop. Pop., in 1821, 169; in 1831, 158. Houses 23. Acres 1,310.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Besford, 2½ m. N. Shawbury. P. 145
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Besford. A township in the parish of Shawbury, and in the hundred of Pimhill. 3 miles south-east of Wem.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Edgbolton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Edgbolton, a township in Shawbury parish, Salop; near the river Roden, 6 ½ miles SE of Wem. It includes Muckleston and Great Witchford. Pop., 199. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Edgbolton, a township in the parish of Shawbury, county of Salop; 8 miles north-north east of Shrewsbury, on the eastern bank of the river Rodan. It includes Muckleston and Great Witchford. Houses 70. Pop., in 1811, 393; in 1831, 421. Other returns with the parish4).
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Edgebolton, co. Salop.
P. T. Shrewsbury (153) 8 m. NE b N. Pop. 457.
A township in the parish of Shawbury, and Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford((A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Great Wytheford

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Great Wytheford. A township in the parish of Shawbury, and in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 7 miles north-east of Shrewsbury. The seat of Philip Charlton, Esq.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Muckleton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Muckleton, a township in Shawbury parish, Salop; on the river Roden, 7 ½ miles NW of Wellington. Pop., 113.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Muckleton. A township in the parish of Shawbury, and in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 7 miles south-east of Wem.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Preston Brockhurst

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Preston Brockhurst. A township partly in the parish of Shawbury, and partly in the parish of Moreton Corbet, partly in the hundred of Pimhill, and partly in the Whitchurch division of Bradford, North. 3 miles south-east of Wem.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Shropshire, Shawbury – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Monumental inscriptions of the church and churchyard of Shawbury, Shropshire, 1729-1985
Author: Jones, Roger; Shropshire Family History Society

England, Shropshire, Shawbury – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Shawbury, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Shropshire, Shawbury – Church history ( 1 )
Cover picture [St. Mary the Virgin Church, Shawbury, Shropshire]

England, Shropshire, Shawbury – Church records ( 3 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Shawbury, 1630-1856
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Shawbury (Shropshire)

Parish poor law records, 1633-1919
Author: Shawbury (Shropshire)

Parish registers for Shawbury, 1561-1960
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Shawbury (Shropshire)

England, Shropshire, Shawbury – Church records – Indexes ( 3 )
Computer printout of Shawbury, Shrops., Eng

Parish register printouts of Shawbury, Shropshire, England ; christenings, 1813-1856
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Shawbury, Shropshire, England ; christenings, 1838-1875
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

England, Shropshire, Shawbury – History ( 2 )
S is for Shawbury
Author: Shropshire Rambler

Shawbury the village and its people
Author: Lea, Evelyn

England, Shropshire, Shawbury – Occupations ( 1 )
Parish poor law records, 1633-1919
Author: Shawbury (Shropshire)

England, Shropshire, Shawbury – Poorhouses, poor law, etc. ( 1 )
Parish poor law records, 1633-1919
Author: Shawbury (Shropshire)

England, Shropshire, Shawbury – Taxation ( 1 )
Parish poor law records, 1633-1919
Author: Shawbury (Shropshire)

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Directories

Shawbury

Bagshaw History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1851

SHAWBURY is an extensive parish comprehending the townships of Acton Reynold, Besford, Edgebolton, Muckleton, Shawbury, Wytheford Magna, and Wytheford Parva, which together have an area of 7,222 acres of land, of which 600 acres are in woods and plantations. Rateable value, £8,486. 1s. Rent charge, £838. This parish, although chiefly in the North Bradford hundred, extends into the Shrewsbury liberty, and the hundred of Pimhill. In 1801 the parish had a population of 948 souls; 1831, 915, and in 1841 there were 212 inhabited houses and 1062 inhabitants. The soil, to a considerable extent, is a mixture of loam and sand, in other places a strong soil mixed with gravel prevails. The land has generally an undulating surface, and on the northern verge there are considerable eminences, in which is found a red grit stone. Shawbury is a delightfully situated village, containing some good residences on the Shrewsbury, Market Drayton, Wem, and Whitchurch turnpike roads, six miles S.S. by E. from Wem, and seven miles N.E. by N. from Shrewsbury. In the centre of the village there is a commodious hotel and family boarding house occupied by Mr. Welling, which is much frequented during the summer months by respectable families. The township contains 1,605a. 0r. 37p. of land, and in 1841 there were 55 houses and 279 inhabitants. Rateable value, £1,854. 16s. Sir Andrew Vincent Corbet, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal land owner; Rev. W. S. Marvin and Mr. Samuel Winnall are also owners.

The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure exhibiting some beautiful workmanship, and consists of nave, chancel, and side aisles, with a lofty square tower ornamented with twelve pinnacles; the tower contains six bells, has a clock and sun dial; in the chancel are two windows beautifully ornamented with stained glass; the altar piece and reading desk are of oak, elaborately carved, and there is an ancient font. There is a beautiful tablet of marble in memory of Philip Charlton, who died in 1845, and another commemorative of John Minor, Esq., and his wife, with the date of 1836. The living is a vicarage valued in the king’s book at £7. 1s. 5½d. in the patronage of Sir Andrew Vincent Corbet, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. William S. Marvin, M.A.; curate, Rev. William Howell, M.A.; clerk, William Wright. The vicarial tithes are commuted for £397. 12s. and of the rectorial £247. 18s. was apportioned to Sir Andrew V. Corbet, Bart., £181. 10s. to Mr. Charlton, and £11 to Captain Horner. The vicarage is a pleasantly situated residence a little north from the church. There is a free school in the village which has an attendance of about thirty children. Shawbury heath contains 270a. 2r. 7p. of land, and Shawbury woods contain an area of 159a. 2r. 32p. Charlton Grange is situated in this township, and contains 433a. 3r. 27p.

Charities.—Elizabeth Corbet, by will, October 29th, 1702, bequeathed the sum of £200, and directed the amount to be laid out in land, and the yearly proceeds to be applied in feeding or clothing the poor, or in apprentice fees, as the vicar for the time being and her heirs should think fit. The amount was laid out as directed by the donor, and now produces a yearly rental of £45 which is divided into three equal parts, one portion applied in clothing the children of the national school, another in apprentice fees, and the remainder in a weekly distribution of bread.

Robert Wood gave £20, the interest to be distributed among the poor on St. Thomas’s day. Andrew Peplow gave £16 towards clothing the poor. Richard Wood £40, and Andrew Syth £10, for the benefit of the poor. Ralph Collins gave £80 towards the maintenance of a schoolmaster in Shawbury, and if there should be no schoolmaster then to the poor of the parish during each vacancy. Dame Rachael Corbet left £10, Sarah Venables £20, and an unknown donor £17 for the benefit of the poor. These several sums amounting to £213, are in the hands of Sir Andrew V. Corbet, bart., secured by two bonds. Of the interest amounting to £9. 6s. 6d., at four per cent, 14s. is paid annually in purchasing a coat for one poor man, £4 in respect of Collins’ charity to a schoolmaster, and the remainder is distributed on St. Thomas’s day amongst the poor, with some voluntary donations, in sums varying from 1s. to 3s. 6d.

John Minor gave £20, the interest to be distributed on St. Andrew’s day. This sum, together with £26. 5s. given by Sir Andrew Corbet, is in the hands of the Rev. W. S. Marvin, and £20 collected many years ago towards building a school house, making together £66. 5s., for which he gave a promissory note to the churchwardens, bearing date 2nd February, 1830, with interest at four and a half per cent. Of the interest, £1 is given away as Minor’s charity, 18s. are added to the subscriptions collected for the school, and the remainder is distributed on Candlemas day among the poor of the parish.

Mrs. Charlotte Corbet left £100, the interest to be given among the most indigent inhabitants of this parish yearly, as the minister and churchwardens should think fit. This sum is in the hands of Mr. John Kilvert, who pays £4 as the interest thereof.

Thomas Downes left £5, the interest to be given in bread to the old labourers at Shawbury Park, yearly, on St. Thomas’s day. This sum was in the hands of Mr. John Harris, who paid 5s. as interest, when the charity commissioners published their report.

Post Office.—At Mr. William Wright’s. Letters arrive at 9 A.M., and are despatched at 5 P.M.

Armson Charles, cattle salesman

Bayley Mary, straw bonnet maker

Bayley Samuel, butcher

Bayley William, beerhouse keeper

Cartwright Samuel, saddler and harness maker

Clowes Job, cooper and shopkeeper

Davies John, cashier and clerk to William Wyley, Esq.

Deakin Peter, baker

Dickin John, farmer, the Grove

Downes Thomas, tailor

Drury Joseph, farmer and brickmaker

Drury and Rayner, surgeons

Drury Thomas, Esq., Roden villa

Friend James, shoemaker

Hewes Ann, laundress

Hollis Benjamin, farmer, the Heath

Hopwood Peter, farmer

Howell Rev. Alfred, curate

Mainwaring Richard, bricklayer

Marvin Rev. William S., Vicarage

Oswell Thomas, farmer

Owen Edward, blacksmith

Owen Thomas, whitesmith

Pascall William, farmer, the Heath

Pickford Thomas, farmer

Pickford William, farmer, the Park

Powell John, farmer

Plummer John, mole catcher

Rayner Alfred Philip, Esq., the Castle

Southerton Edward, farmer, the Heath

Trevor Samuel, carrier to Shrewsbury

Webb John, coachman

Wellings Joseph, farmer, maltster, and vict., Elephant and Castle Hotel, and posting house

West Thomas, seedsman and green grocer

Wildblood George, gentleman, the Cottage

Williams William, shopkeeper

Winnall Samuel, farmer, Heath Grove

Woodvine James, farmer, the Heath

Wright Robert, wood ranger

Wright William, post master

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire by Samuel Bagshaw 1851

Acton Reynald

Bagshaw History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1851

ACTON REYNALD, a pleasantly situated township, contains 1,448 acres of land, of which 381a. 3r. 21p. are in park grounds and plantations. In 1841 there were 37 houses and 159 inhabitants. Rateable value, £1,854. 16s. Acton Reynald Hall, the seat of Sir Andrew Vincent Corbet, Bart., is a stately pile of building in the Elizabethan style of architecture, erected of white freestone, got from quarries on the estate. The mansion exhibits the characteristic style of the period in which it was erected, and has from time to time had improvements and additions made to it, up to the year 1848. The drawing room and other apartments are magnificently furnished. It stands on a gentle eminence, and commands a most delightful view over a luxuriant and richly wooded country; the pleasure grounds are extensive, and laid out with great taste; the choicest shrubs and the most beautiful flowers are scattered in the greatest profusion, and planted in designs most admirably executed. The conservatories and greenhouses are extensive, and kept in the most beautiful order. These gardens are highly creditable to the taste and superior management of Mr. Francis Bell, the gardener. The Corbets have been seated in this county from the time of the conquest, when Roger Corbet held large possessions under the Earl of Shrewsbury, “comprising the manors of Huelbeck, Hundeslet, Actun, Terneley, and Preston. Robert, his brother, held of the same the earl manors of Ulestan, Ratlinghope, Branton, Udecote, Langedunin, Weymore, Rorenton, Middleton, and Meredon. Sir Vincent Corbet was created baronet in 1641. His widow, Sarah, daughter of Sir Robert Monson, was created Viscountess Corbet and Linchlade in 1679. Moreton Corbet afterwards became the property of Richard Corbet, Esq., of Shawbury Park, whose descendant, Sir Andrew Corbet, was created baronet 24th September, 1808.” Sir Andrew Vincent Corbet, Bart., is the principal landowner: Viscount Hill, and William Embrey Wood, Esq., are also proprietors.

Corbet Sir Richard Vincent, Bart., Acton Reynald

Corbet Vincent Rowland, Esq.

Acton James, house steward

Bell Francis, head gardener and bailiff

Blantern Robert Hardwick

Evans Thomas, coachman

Fowler John, farmer, Acton Reynald farm

Gough John, gardener

Lee Francis, farmer, New House

Lee William, farmer, Painsbrook

Minton Samuel, farmer, Woodstyle

Ratcliffe Joseph, game and park keeper

Wildblood George, steward

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire by Samuel Bagshaw 1851

Besford

Bagshaw History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1851

BESFORD, a small township situated two miles north-west from Shawbury, contains 707a. 2r. 19p. of land, the soil of which is highly fertile, and produces good barley and wheat. In 1841 this township is returned as containing 35 houses and 167 inhabitants. It extends into the parish of Moreton Corbet, in the hundred of Pimhill. Rateable value, £1,263. 9s. Sir Andrew Vincent Corbet is lord of the manor, and owner of the whole township.

The principal residents are Joseph Taylor Reynolds Ogle, Esq.; John Powell, farmer; and William Powell, farmer.

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire by Samuel Bagshaw 1851

Egbolton

Bagshaw History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1851

EDGEBOLTON is a small village pleasantly situated six miles south-east from Wem. The township contains 617a. 3r. 33p. of land, mostly an undulating district, diversified with picturesque scenery. Rateable value, £710. 14s. At the census in 1841 there were 37 houses and 199 inhabitants. The farms here are much smaller than in the neighbouring townships. Sir Andrew Vincent Corbet, Bart., St. J. C. Charlton, Mrs. Bayley, Mr. Harris, and Mr. Thomas Onslow, are the chief landowners.

The resident farmers are Samuel Alltree, William Astley, George Cartwright, John Dickin, George Done, Charles Green, John Henshaw, Thomas Onslow (and licensed victualler), Thomas Richmond, William Shuker, William Spencer, and William Tudor; John Buttery, blacksmith; John Onslow, Pool Cottage; and Thomas Ward, maltster.

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire by Samuel Bagshaw 1851

Muckleton

Bagshaw History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1851

MUCKLETON, a village and township in the parish of Shawbury, seven miles south-east from Wem, contains 1,033a. 3r. 14p. of land. In 1841 there were 20 houses, and a population of 113 souls. Rateable value, £955. 1s. St. J. C. Charlton, Esq., is the landowner.

The principal residents are Richard Higginson, farmer, the Moss; Henry Lawley, farmer, the Moss; Thomas Phillips, farmer, the Moss; Richard Powell, farmer, the Hall; Richard Powell, farmer, Pool House; Thomas Pritchard, boot and shoemaker; Thomas Wellings, the Farm; and John Wright, farmer.

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire by Samuel Bagshaw 1851

Wytheford Magna

Bagshaw History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1851

WYTHEFORD MAGNA is a township and village pleasantly situated on the turnpike road from Shawbury to Wellington, seven miles north-east from Wem. The township contains 955a. 1r. 7p. of land, the soil of which is a mixture of sand and loam, or red earth. There are woods and plantations, which cover 207a. 1r. 27p. of land. In 1841 there were 18 houses and 101 inhabitants. Rateable value, £1,114. 10s. Wytheford House is an ancient brick structure of considerable antiquity, now in the occupancy of Mr. William Taylor, as a farm residence. St. J. C. Charlton, Esq., and Miss Cooke, are the principal landowners.

Directory.—William Bayley, farmer and maltster; Robert Davies, farmer; Robert Hampton, farmer; Thomas Humphreys, farmer; John Stockton, farmer; and William Taylor, farmer, the Hall.

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire by Samuel Bagshaw 1851

Wytheford Parva

Bagshaw History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1851

WYTHEFORD PARVA, a small township two and a quarter miles N.E. by N. from Shawbury, contains 334 acres of land, and in 1841 had 10 houses and 44 inhabitants. Rateable value, £354. 18s. The landowners are Captain Horner, St. J. C. Charlton, Esq., and Miss Steedman.

The principal residents are Samuel Davies, wheelwright; William Davies, farmer; David Ferrington, farmer; John Jones, farmer; Peter Light, farmer; Richard Owen, farmer; Joseph Powell, farmer; and Eleanor Wainwright, farmer.

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire by Samuel Bagshaw 1851

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Wem
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Wem
  • Poor Law Union: Wem
  • Hundred: North Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts