Ruyton of the Eleven Towns, Shropshire Family History Guide

Ruyton of the Eleven Towns is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Alternative names: Ruyton in the Eleven Towns, Ruyton, Ruyton XI Towns

Other places in the parish include: Cotton, Eardiston, Shelvock, Wykey, Shotatton, Wikey, and Shelvocke.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1719

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Society of Friends/Quaker.

Parishes adjacent to Ruyton of the Eleven Towns

Historical Descriptions

Ruyton of the Eleven Towns

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

RUYTON OF-THE-ELEVEN-TOWNS, a village and a parish in Oswestry district, Salop. The village stands on the river Perry, 2½ miles W by S of Baschurch r.station, and 10 N W of Shrewsbury; is thought, by manyantiquaries, to occupy the site of the Roman station Rutunium; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Shrewsbury, and fairs on the Monday before the April and Nov. fairs of Shrewsbury, and on 5 July. The parish contains also the townships of Cotton, Eardiston, Shelvock, Shotatton, and Wykey. Acres, 4, 698. Real property, £8, 501; of which £10 are in mines. Pop., 1, 200. Houses, 232. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Major Edwards. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £304. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was being restored in 1868. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, and an endowed national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Eardiston

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Eardiston, a township in Ruyton-of-the-Eleven-Towns parish, Salop; 8 1/2 miles NW of Shrewsbury. Pop., 160.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eardiston. A township in the parish of Ruyton, and in the lower division of the hundred of Oswestry. 6 miles south-east of Oswestry.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Haughton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Haughton. A township in the parish of Ruyton of the Eleven Towns, and in the hundred of Oswestry.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Shelvock

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

SHELVOCK, a township in Ruyton-of-the-Eleven-Towns parish, Salop; 9 ½ miles NW of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Wykey

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Wykey, a township in Ruyton-of-the-Eleven-Towns parish, Salop; 6 ½ miles S of Ellesmere. Pop., 151.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Registers

Ruyton-of-the-Eleven-Towns Parish Registers 1719-1812

Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. V (1905)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Ruyton-of-the-Eleven-Towns Parish Registers 1719-1812 - Archive.org

Directories

Eardiston Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Eardiston is a pleasantly situated township and village, in the parish of Ruyton-of-the-Eleven-Towns, two and a half miles west from Ruyton, and in the southern division of the county, hundred, union, and county court district of Oswestry, and diocese of Lichfield. On the 18th June, 1860, the Hon. Mrs. Kenyon laid the foundation stone of a church, close to the private grounds of the mansion, which has since been completed at her own expense; it is in the Early English style. The church is not consecrated. The principal landowners are John Robert Kenyon, Esq., Q.C., and W. B. Oswell Esq. The soil is mostly a stiff loam, with a portion of sand; subsoil, sandstone rock. The area is 706 acres.
Letters are received at Shrewsbury, via West Felton.

Kenyon John Robert, esq., Q. C. (recorder of Oswestry and deputy chairman of quarter sessions), Pradoe
Kenyon Rowland Whitehall, Esq., Pradoe
Oswell William B., esq., Eardiston house
Clark John, maltster, Lane end
Wilkinson Thomas, gardener Brook Cottage
Dovaston William, tailor
Gidwell William, butcher
Pearce John, blacksmith
Price Charles, stonemason
Williams James and Richard, farmers
Williams Arthur, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Oswestry
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Ruyton-of-the-Eleven-Towns
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Ellesmere
  • Poor Law Union: Oswestry
  • Hundred: Oswestry
  • Province: Canterbury