Ratlinghope is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Stitt with Gatten, Stitt and Gattin, and Stitt and Gatten.
Parish church: St. Margaret
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1755
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1638
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RATLINGHOPE, a township and a parish in Clun district, Salop. The township lies on the river Onny, 4½ miles W N W of Church-Stretton r. station. The parish contains also the township of Stitt-with-Gatten; and its post town is Church-Stretton, Shropshire. Acres, 5,559. Rated property, £2,299. Pop., 285. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to R. Scott, Esq. Part of the land is waste. A thin vein of copper ore has been found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £65. Patrons, B. and W. Hawkins, Esqs. The church is tolerable.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Bishop’s Castle Polling District
Ratlinghope, Parish of
348 Cooke Thomas
349 Davies Thomas
350 Fowler George
351 Fowler Richard
352 Groves William
353 Harrop Jonah, see 2842
354 Hodges James
355 Jones Thomas
356 Kirkham Samuel
357 Munslow John, jun., dead
358 Munslow Richard
359 Partridge Thomas
360 Preece Robert
361 Scott John Charles Addyes
Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Ratlinghope is a parish, comprising the townships of Stilt and Gatten, four miles west from Church Stretton station, and 172 from London, in the Southern division of the county, Bishop’s Castle division of Purslow hundred, Clun union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Margaret is a small stone building, consisting of nave and small tower with two bells. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £68, in the gift of John Charles Adyss Scott, Esq. J. C. A. Scott, Esq., and M. W. H. Harrods, Esq., are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The yearly value of the charities is £1 8s. The soil is sandy and clay; sub-soil, rocky. Gross estimated rental of the parish, to £2,773; rateable value, £2,426. The area of the parish is 3,690 acres of land; the population in 1861 was 285, in a wild and lonely country, the approach to which from Church Stretton is across the Longmynd range of hills, and during the winter season is frequently impassable.
Stitt and Gatten are 10 miles south-west from Shrewsbury. At Gatten there are copper mines. There are two charities, one of £20 a year, and another of £10, which are annually distributed to the poor, the former on Holy Thursday, the latter on St. Thomas’s Day.
Letters are received through Shrewsbury.
Cook Thomas, farmer, The Coppice
Davies Thomas, farmer
Elison Hannah, farmer, Coates
Gwilliam Benjamin, farmer, Rock farm
Hodges James, miller and brick maker
Jones Thomas, farmer, Manor house
Munslow William, farmer, Far Dronford
Partridge Thomas, Bridges, & blacksmith
Pinches Ann, farmer, Marsh
Sutton John, farmer, Belmore
Wardman John, farmer, Near Dronford
Kirkham Cornelius, farmer, Far Gatten
Kirkham James, farmer
Munslow John, farmer
Slater George, farmer
Nottley Rev. William G. C.
Fowler George, farmer
Groves William, farmer
Pinches Samuel, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
Civil Registration District: Clun
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
Poor Law Union: Clun