Priors Lee, Shropshire Family History Guide

Priors Lee is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1720 from chapelry in Shifnal Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Priorslee, Priors Lee St Peter, Priors Leigh

Other places in the parish include: Oakengates.

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin: 1813

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Priors Lee

Historical Descriptions

Priors Lee

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

PRIORS-LEE, a village and a chapelry in Shiffnal parish, Salop. The village stands adjacent to Watling-street and to the Birmingham and Shrewsbury r., 1 mile ESE of Oakengates r. station, and 2¾ W N W of Shiffnal; and has a post-office under Shiffnal. The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Oakengates, and was constituted in 1837. Rated property, £2, 804. Pop., 2, 461. Houses, 460. The property is divided among a few. P. L. Hall is the seat of the Hortons; and P. L. House, of the Mountfords. There are blast furnaces, foundries, and rolling and slitting mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Shiffnal. The church was built in 1837. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Prior’s Leigh. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. Prior’s Leigh and Oaken Gate contain 367 houses, 1,851 inhabitants. 3 miles north-west of Shiffnal.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Oaken Gates or Oaken Yates

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Oaken Gates or Oaken Yates. A township in the parish of Shiffnal, and in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry. 3 ½ miles north-west of Shiffnal.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Directories

Priors Lee Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871

Prior’s Lee is a township and ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Shifnal, three miles from the latter place, and four and a half north-east from Wellington, in the Southern division of the county, Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield; it is situated on the turnpike road from Shifnal to Wellington, and intersected by the Great Western Railway.  The church of St. Peter is a brick structure, rebuilt in 1836, in the Decorated style, with a square tower.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £150, in the gift of the vicar of Shifnal.  The Wesleyans have a chapel here.  The Lilleshall Company carry on extensive coal and iron works in the parishes of Shifnal, Wombridge, Lilleshall, Wrockwardine, and Aston, and employ about 5,000 hands; the works at Prior’s Lee comprise Landsale coal mines, iron mines, four blast furnaces, extensive foundries and brick works; the works at Wombridge, ironstone mines only; the works at Lilleshall and Donnington Wood, five blast furnaces, extensive collieries, ironstone mines, and limestone working.  Lord Stafford is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are Lord Stafford and the Lilleshall Company.  The soil is loamy; subsoil is gravel.  The population in 1861 was 2,464.
Letters arrive from Shifnal at 7 10 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.

Angell Rev. William, B.A.
Horton T. E., esq., Prior’s Lee hall
Jones Arthur, esq.
Tipton Mr. Luke
Ford Samuel, farmer, &c.
Hughes George, Pigeon Box inn
Jones Alfred Charles, furnace manager to the Lilleshall company
Jones Edward, agent to the Lilleshall Company
Lee Samuel, blacksmith
Lilleshall Iron Co. (Thomas Ellwood Horton, esq., managing partner)
Pascall George, farmer, &c.
Poultney John, Lion inn
Price Moses, shopkeeper
Tipton Edward, accountant

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Shifnal
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Shifnal
  • Poor Law Union: Shifnal
  • Hundred: Brimstree
  • Province: Canterbury