Pattingham is an Ancient Parish partly in Shropshire and partly in Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Rudge, Nurton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Pattingham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PATTINGHAM, a village and a township in Staffordshire, and a parish partly also in Salop, but all in Wolverhampton district. The village stands ½ a mile from the boundary with Salop, 4¼ S W of Codsall r. station, and 6 W of Wolverhampton; and has a post-office under Wolverhampton, and a fair on the last Tuesday of April. The township contains also the hamlet of Nurton; is the Staffordshire portion of the parish; and comprises 2,500 acres. Pop., 959. Houses, 210. The Salop portion of the parish consists of Rudge township, and comprises 1,542 acres. Pop., 167. Houses, 27. Real property of the whole, with Patshull, £13,136. Rated property of Pattingham alone, £8,377. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dartmouth. A gold torque, 4 feet long, was found in 1700. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £342. Patron, the Earl of Dartmouth. The church is ancient, was recently restored, and contains some old monuments. There are an endowed school with £15 a year, and charities £71.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Pattingham. A parish partly in the hundred of Stottesden, partly in Seisdon hundred, in the county of Stafford. The Shropshire part contains 11 houses, 69 inhabitants. The entire parish contains 935 inhabitants. 8 miles south-east of Shiffnal.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Rudge, Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Bridgnorth Polling District
Rudge, Township of
729 Wilkes John
Rudge Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Rudge is a small township in Shropshire, forming part of the parish of Pattingham, the major portion of which is in Staffordshire; it is 7 ¾ miles from Bridgnorth, union of Seisdon, and Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottenden. The area is 1,542 acres, and the population in 1861 was 167.
Letters arrive from Bridgnorth.
Boycott Miss, Rudge hall
Painter John, blacksmith
Ross Edward, Nudge Heath com
Toy Thomas, Rudge Heath com
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire and Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Wolverhampton
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Pattingham
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Trysull
- Poor Law Union: Seisdon
- Hundred: Shropshire: Stottesdon; Staffordshire: South Seisdon
- Province: Canterbury