Nash Shropshire Family History Guide

Nash is a chapelry of Burford Ancient Parish in Shropshire.

Church: St John the Baptist

Parish registers begin: 1825

St John the Baptist Church

The church of St John the Baptist, Nash, dates back to the early 14th century with Norman windows in the tower dating back to 1066 – 1154. The church was originally used as a chapel for the ease of Burford, until in 1849 when it became a church in its own right. A north aisle was added to the building in 1865 after it became a church.
The parish war memorial is in the form of marble steps to the high altar, which list names of the dead of both World Wars and bears the text: I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the testimony which they held (Book of Revelation, chapter 6 verse 9). In the south wall is a stained glass window in memory of Major Sir Robert Dalrymple Arbuthnot, killed during Operation Goodwood in Normandy in 1944. There is also a First World War Roll of Remembrance listing local men who served in World War I.
An old wooden vertical south dial still exists on the exterior of the church showing hours from VI to VI.[14]

Parishes adjacent to Nash

Historical Descriptions

Nash

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Nash, a township-chapelry in Burford parish, Salop; near the boundary with Worcester, 2 miles N by E of Tenbury r. station. Post-town, Tenbury. Pop., 269. Houses, 55. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the first portion of the rectory of Burford, in the diocese of Hereford.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1831

Nash, a joint township with Tilsop and Weston, in the parish of Burford, hundred of Overs, county of Salop, 2½ miles (N. by E.) from Tenbury, containing, with Tilsop and Weston, 377 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Nash. A township in the parish of Burford, and in the hundred of Overs. Nash, Tilsop, and Weston, contain 74 houses, 377 inhabitants. 6 miles south-west of Ludlow. Nash is a chapel to Burford, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Burford, and archdeaconry of Salop. It is served by one of the rectors of Burford.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Tilsop

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Tilsop, a township in Burford parish, Salop; 4½ miles SW of Cleobury-Mortimer. Pop., 104. Houses, 24.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Poll Books

Nash, Tilsop, & Weston Shropshire Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Cleobury Mortimer Polling District

Nash, Tilsop, & Weston - Townships of

1594 Barber John

1595 Barber Stephen, see 1519

1596 Bate Richard

1597 Beaumont John

1598 Beddoes Thomas

1599 Bytheway Benjamin

1600 Bradley George

1601 Jones John

1602 Jones James

1603 Jones James

1604 Lowe Charles Arthur

1605 Millichamp Samuel

1606 Morris Edward

1607 Mountford Samuel

1608 Pardoe George

1609 Perrins Edward

1610 Price William

1611 Radnor William

1612 Revel John

1613 Robinson George

1614 Robinson Robert

1615 Trantram Thomas

1616 Wheeler Edward Vincent

1617 Wilding Henry

Directories

Burford (with Boraston, Whatmore, Nash, Tilsop, Weston, Whitton and Stoke) Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Burford is a parish, comprising the townships of Burford, Boraston, Whatmore, Nash, Tilsop, Weston, Whitton, and Stoke, five miles from Wooferton station, and eight from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Overs hundred, Tenbury union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church of St. Mary is an old building.  It contains many monuments of the Cornewall family, and the tomb of Elizabeth of Lancaster, a daughter of John of Gaunt.  The living is in three portions: the income of the first portion is about £500 per annum, the second about £270, and the third about £470; residences are attached to each of the three portions, which are all in the gift of Lord Northwick.  There are two schools, one at Burford, and the other at Nash.  There are almshouses for eight widows.  Burford takes its name from having been a fortified Roman settlement.  Lord Northwick, who is lord of the manor, Colonel Hill, R. Mills, Esq., George Pardoe, Esq., P. P. Williams, Esq., and T. H. H. Edwardes, Esq., are the chief landowners.  The soil is chiefly clay; the subsoil is marl.  There are charities, yearly value about £50.  The population of the parish in 1861 was 1,121, and of Burford township 314; the area is 5,999 acres.

Boraston is a township, with a population of 176, and a chapel of ease.  Greet is a township, with a population of 26.  Nash is a township, with a population of 269, containing a chapel of ease and a school.  Stoke, a township, with a population of 47.  Tilsop, a township, with 104.  Weston, a township, with 44.  Whitton, a township, with 82 inhabitants, and a chapel of ease.  Whatmore township is one mile and a half north-east from Burford.  The population is 61.  Gross estimated rental: Boraston, £2,201; Burford, £4,009; Greet, £1,382; Nash, £3,285; Whitton, £979; rateable value, £2,004; £3,627; £1,261; £3,008; £895 respectively.
Letters are received through Tenbury.

Burford.
Davis William, esq., Dean park
Joyce Rev. James Wayland, J.P., Rectory
Northwich [sic] Lord, Burford house
Berrington John, farmer
Charles Thomas, bricklayer
Davis James, farmer
Davis William, farmer, Dean park
Edwards Edmund, farmer, and at Little Hereford
Jones William, Rose and Crown Inn, and farmer
Lloyd Ann and George, tailors
Lloyd William, carpenter and farmer
Morris John, farmer, The Lodge
Morris John, farmer, Burford farm
Morris Thomas, farmer, Pendeall
Rawlings Mary, farmer
Rose Jame [sic], farmer, Harp fields
Smallman Henry, farmer
Smith Edmund, shoe maker
Smith Edward, blacksmith
Walker Charles Plumer, Swan hotel, and farmer
Wall Thomas, farmer and miller, Rock hill
Wheeler James, miller and farmer
Williams James, farmer

Boraston.
McLaughlin Rev. Hubert, M.A., Rectory
Bowen Samuel, farmer
Downes Thomas, blacksmith
Howells William, mason
Jones John, Peacock inn
Lucas Benjamin, brick and tile maker and farmer
Millichamp John, farmer
Morris Edward, farmer
Morris Thomas, miller, Boraston mill
Mytton Edward, farmer
Mytton William, farmer
Powell William, carpenter and farmer
Radner William, farmer
Reynolds Thomas, farmer
Simmonds Francis, carpenter
Smallman William, farmer
Smith Mrs., farmer
Stewart Charles, farmer

Nash.
Hill Col. Arthur Charles, Court of Hill
Pardoe George, Esq., J.P., Nash court
Beeman John, farmer
Bradley George, farmer
Brown William, wheelwright
Corfield Edwin, farmer
Downes Benjamin, blacksmith
Hammond Thomas, farmer
Hardwick Vincent, farmer
Holt Letitia, farmer,
Lowe Frances, farmer
Morris Edward, stone mason and builder
Morris George, farmer
Pound Philip, farmer
Radner William, farmer
Robinson George, farmer
Robinson Robert, farmer
Wilding Henry, lime burner

Stoke.
Williams Philip Penry, esq., J.P., Stoke house
Rawlings John, farmer

Tilsop.
Bailey Samuel, farmer
Hammond Thomas, Golden Lion Inn
Peade William, farmer
Starrey John, farmer
Tantram Thomas, farmer

Whatmore.
Brown Thomas, farmer
Davis Edmund, miller, Whatmore mill
Meakin Richard, farmer
Mytton James, farmer

Whitton.
Morris Mr. Thomas
Whitefoord Rev. Caleb, M.A., Rectory
Amies Richard, wheelwright
Bill Sarah, farmer
Lawley Joseph, blacksmith
Mills M., farmer
Thomas John, farmer, Whitton house
Town Benjamin, shopkeeper
Wall Thomas, farmer
Whittall Thomas, carpenter and builder
Williams Samuel, wheelwright, &c.

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Tenbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Tenbury
  • Hundred: Overs
  • Province: Canterbury