Skip to content

Myddle Shropshire Genealogy & Family History

Photo of St. Peter's, Myddle parish church, Shropshire by Jeremy Bolwell, some rights reserved.


Myddle is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Also known as: Mydle, Middle, Midle, M'dle, Meadley and Medle

Other places in the parish include: Alderton, Balderton, Balduxton, Hardwick, Hardwicke, Haston, Witteradge Green, Newton on the Hill, Shotton, Sleap, Smethcote, Smethcott, and Marton.

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin: 1617

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.

Myddle Castle Ruins Shropshire by Keith Havercroft

Parishes adjacent to Myddle

  • Loppington
  • Broughton
  • Baschurch
  • Preston Gobalds
  • Wem
  • Newtown
  • Petton
  • Hadnall

Historical Descriptions of Myddle

Myddle

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Middle, a township and a parish in Ellesmere district, Salop. The township lies 3 miles E by N of Baschurch r. station, and 7 N by W of Shrewsbury; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. The parish contains also the townships of Alderton, Hadnall, Haston, Hardwick, Shotton, Smethcott, Baldurton, Marton, Newton, and part of Sleep, the first six of which constitute the chapelry of Hadnall. Acres, 6,909. Real property, £6,008; of which £37 are in quarries. Pop., 1,258. Houses, 271. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Earl Brownlow. Ruins exist of a castle which belonged to the L'Estranges and to "Wild'' Kynaston; and the cave of "Wild ''Kynaston is shown in Nescliffe rock. 'The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £1,003. Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is ancient, with a tower; was partially restored in 1855; and has a stained window, and an old brass. The p. curacy of Hadnall is a separate benefice. There are a parochial school, and charities £92. The history of the parish was written by Gough of Middle.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Middle. A parish partly in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill, and partly in the liberties of Shrewsbury, a rectory remaining in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 240 houses, 1,196 inhabitants. 7 miles north-west by north of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Alderton

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Alderton. A township in the parish of Middle, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury. 7 miles north of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Balderton

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Balderton. A township in the parish of Middle, and in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill. 4 miles south-west by west of Wem.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Balduxton

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Balduxton, a township in Middle parish, Salop; 9 miles NNW of Shrewsbury. Pop., 26.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Hardwick Shotton

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Hardwick Shotton. A township in the parish of Middle, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury. 5 ½ miles north-east by north of Shrewsbury. The seat of General Lord Hill.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Haston

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Haston. A township belonging to Hadnall Ease, in the parish of Middle, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury. 5 ½ miles north-east by north of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Marton

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Marton. A township in the parish of Middle, and in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Newton on the Hill

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Newton on the Hill. A township in the parish of Middle, and in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill. 7 miles north of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ellesmere
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Wem
  • Poor Law Union: Ellesmere
  • Hundred: Albrighton Division; Pimhill
  • Province: Canterbury