Moreton Say Shropshire Family History Guide

Moreton Say is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1690 from chapelry in Hodnet Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Moreton Sea, Moreton Saye

Other places in the parish include: Bletchley, Styche and Woodlands, Styche, Onley, and Longford.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church: St. Margaret of Antioch

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1690
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1634

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Moreton Say

  • Market Drayton
  • Calverhall
  • Adderley
  • Audlem
  • Hodnet
  • Little Drayton
  • Stoke upon Tern
  • Prees

Historical Descriptions

Moreton Say

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MORETON-SAY, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Market-Drayton district, Salop. The township lies on a small affluent of the river Tern, 2 miles SSW of the boundary with Cheshire, 2½ WNW of the boundary with Stafford, and 3 W of Market-Drayton r. station. The parish contains also the townships of Bletchley, Longford, and Styche; and its Post town is Market-Drayton Acres, 4,804. Real property, £6,851. Pop., 679. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to R. Corbet and W. Tayleur, Esqs. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200. Patron, the Rector of Hodnet. The church is of the 14th century; was cased with brick in 1788; has a tower; and contains memorials of the distinguished Lord Clive, who was interred here, and monuments to the Clive family and to the Vernons. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £20. The sub-district contain s also two other parishes and a chapelry electorally in Salop, a parish and five townships electorally in Stafford, and a township electorally in Cheshire. Acres, 21,490. Pop., 3,923. Houses, 815.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Moreton Say or Sea. A township in the parish of Hodnet, (but having a separate minister and assessment) and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North, a chapel to Hodnet, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 138 houses, 762 inhabitants. 3 miles north-west by west of Drayton.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Bletchley

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bletchley. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 7 ½ miles south-east of Whitchurch, 2 ½ miles west of Drayton.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Longford

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Longford. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 2 miles west of Drayton.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Shropshire
Civil Registration District: Market Drayton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
Poor Law Union: Market Drayton
Hundred: North Bradford
Province: Canterbury