Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Monk Hopton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1698
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1638
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOPTON (Monk), a village and a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The village stands 4½ miles S of Much-Wenlock r. station, and 7 W by N of Bridgnorth; and has a post office under Bridgnorth. The parish comprises 2,208 acres. Real property, £1,623. Pop., 175. Houses, 33. The surface is undulating. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £56. Patron, Lord Wenlock. The church was recently rebuilt.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Monk Hopton. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock, a curacy not in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 34 houses, 168 inhabitants. 4 miles south of Wenlock.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Monk Hopton Parish Registers 1698 to 1812 - Archive.org
Parish Register Transcriptions
Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wenlock
Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough