Minsterley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1814 from chapelry in Westbury Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Stony Stretton, Newton, Marsh, Lake, Forest, Yockleton, Winsley, Wigmore, Whitton, Westley, and Wallop.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1815
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Primitive Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MINSTERLEY, a village and a chapelry in Westbury parish, Salop. The village stands near the river Rea, under the Stiper-Stones hills, at the terminns of the Shrewsbury and Minsterley railway, 10¼ miles SW of Shrewsbury; is a considerable place; and has a post office under Shrewsbury and a railway station. Acres, with Westbury township, 11,274. Real property of M. alone, £12,402; of which £4,000 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 988; in 1861, 890. Houses, 178. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Bath. The lead mine of Suailbeach is within the parish, and employs very many hands. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £96. Patron, the Marquis of Bath. The church is an old brick edifice, with a bell turret. There is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Minsterley. A township in the parish of Westbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. A curacy not in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. 145 houses, 758 inhabitants. 9 ½ miles south-west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Minsterley Independent Chapel Register of Births and Baptisms
This is a large thin volume, with printed headings, 16 ½ inches tall and 10 ½ inches broad, and extends from 1806 to 1837. It is No. 46 of the Shropshire Non-Parochial Registers, preserved at Somerset House. The Ministers who sign are George Ryder 1806 to 1815, John Jones Beynon 1817 to 1825, Thomas James 1825 to 1832, and Thomas Jones 1833 to 1837. There is a column for the signatures of parents, but few of there are filled in, and up to 1829 they are generally signed with a mark. The Chapel was founded in 1795.
The Register of Minsterley Independent Chapel 1806-1837
Shropshire parish registers : Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William
Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
The Register of Minsterley Independent Chapel 1806-1837 - Archive.org
Minsterley Independent Chapel 1836 to 1837
Civil Registration District: Atcham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
Poor Law Union: Atcham