Middleton is a chapelry created in 1845 and enlarged in 1850 from Chirbury Ancient Parish and Church Stoke Ancient Parish. Middleton is partly in Montgomeryshire, Wales.
Other places in the parish include: Wilmington, Rorington, and Priest Weston.
Alternative names: Middleton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1846
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MIDDLETON, a township in Chirbury parish, and a chapelry partly also in Church-Stoke parish, Salop. The township lies under Stapeley Hill, adjacent to Montgomeryshire, 5 miles ESE of Forden r. station, and 7 NNW of Bishops-Castle. The chapelry includes also the townships of Priest-Weston, Rorington, and Wilmington; and was constituted in 1845. Post town, Chirbury, Salop. Pop., 740. Houses, 145. Pop. of the Chirbury portion, 604. Houses, 119. The manor belongs to Miss Stokes. Stapeley Hill is crowned by an imperfect Druidical circle, 120 feet in circuit; several of the stones of which are still standing. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £132. Patron, the Vicar of Chirbury. The church is a neat edifice, with a bell-turret. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Montgomery
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
Poor Law Union: Montgomery