Lydham is an Ancient Parish partly in Montgomeryshire.
Other places in the parish include: Aston.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1596
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1638
Parishes adjacent to Lydham
Historical Descriptions of Lydham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LYDHAM, a village in Clun district, Salop, and a parish partly also in the district and county of Montgomery. The village stands near the river Camlet, at the boundary with Wales, and near Lydham-Heath r. station, 2 miles NNE of Bishops-Castle. The parish comprises 1,943 acres in Salop, and 1,125 acres, forming the township of Aston, in Montgomery. Post town, Bishops-Castle, Shropshire. Real property of the Salop portion, £2,437. Pop. of the whole, 205. Houses, 29. Pop. of the Salop portion, 143. Houses, 19. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Rev. A. Oakeley. Oakley House is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £463. Patron, the Rev. A. Oakeley. The church is ancient but good, and has an ancient font.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Lydham. A parish partly in the county of Montgomery, and partly in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow, a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. The parish contains 225 inhabitants. The Shropshire part, 18 houses, 113 inhabitants. 2 miles north-east by north of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Lydham, Shropshire Parish Registers 1591 to 1812 - Archive.org
Poll Book 1865, Lydham Shropshire
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Bishop’s Castle Polling District
Lydham, Parish of
262 Blakemore Ferdinand
263 Davies William
264 Gwilliam Edward, see 1945
265 Humphreys Arthur Lloyd, dead, see 162
266 Morris Charles, left
267 Oakley Arthur, the Rev.
268 Oakeley Henry
269 Starr John
270 Williams John
Lydham Caseys Directory of Shropshire 1871
Lydham is a parish, with the township of Aston, two miles from Bishop’s Castle, and eight from Marsh Brook station, in the Southern division of the county, Bishop’s Castle division of Purslow hundred, Clun union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of the Holy Trinity is a stone building. The living is a rectory, yearly value £163, with residence and 40 acres of glebe land. Capt. Henry Oakley, J.P., is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is a rich loam; the subsoil clay, sand and gravel. The population of the township in 1861 was 143; the area is 1,943 acres. The gross estimated rental of the parish is £2,396; rateable value, £2, 196.
Aston is a township in Lydham parish, in Montgomery union, Montgomeryshire, with 1,125 acres, and a population in 1861 of 62.
Letters are received through Bishop’s Castle.
Green Rev. Frederick, Roveries
Oakley Capt. Henry, J.P. Oakley house
Blakemore Ferdinand, farmer & miller
Davies William, farmer
Holl Richard, farmer
Parkes Edmund, farmer, Lodge farm
Roberts John, farmer, Lower Heblands
Rogers Edward, blacksmith
Williams John, farmer, Newton
Davies Edward, farmer, Aston hall
Kilbert Thomas, farmer, Upper Aston
Morris Charles, farmer
Price Thomas, farmer, Pentreewn
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Clun
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Clun
Poor Law Union: Madeley