Lydbury North, Shropshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Other places included in the parish: Acton, Brockton, Choulton, Eaton, Eaton and Choulton, Eyton, Eyton and Plowden, Howden, Lower Down, Totterton

Alternative names: North Lydbury

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1563
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic

Parishes adjacent to Lydbury North

Historical Descriptions

Lydbury North

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LYDBURY (NORTH), a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Clun district, Salop. The village stands near the Bishops-Castle railway, 2¾ miles SE of Bishops Castle; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. The parish contains also the townships of Acton, Brockton, Lower Down, Eaton, Choulton, Eyton, Plowden, and Totterton. Acres, 7,520. Real property, £9,706. Pop. in 1851, 964; in 1861, 1,025. Houses, 191. The-property is chiefly divided among four. The manor belongs to the Earl of Powis and W. Plowden, Esq. Walcot Park is the seat of the Earl of Powis; and contains many Indian products brought hither by Lord Clive, and some good paintings. Plowden Hall is the seat of W. Plowden, Esq.; and was the residence of Plowden, the author of the "Commentaries." Totterton Hall is a handsome mansion. A castellated seat of the bishops of Hereford was here in the time of Henry III. Traces of an ancient British camp are in Lower Down. Building stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Norbury, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £660. Patrons, the Representatives of the late Rev. J. B. Bright. The church is ancient; has undergone modern improvements; and includes an ancient chapel, with stone altar, and ancient oak candlesticks. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a free library, a parochial free school, an endowed school with £11 a year, and charities £38. The sub-district contains also two other parishes and three extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 13,412. Pop., 1,903. Houses, 378.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Lydbury North. A parish in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow, a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. 139 houses, 822 inhabitants. 3 miles south-east of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Acton and Down

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Acton, 2½ miles S.W. and included in North-Lydbury.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Acton and Down. A township in the parish of Lydbury North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Brockton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Brockton. A township in the parish of Lydbury North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow. 2 ¼ miles south of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Choulton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Choulton or Chealton. Part of a township in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow, and in the parish of Lydbury North. 3 ½ miles east of Bishopscastle. See Eaton and Chealton

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Eaton and Chealton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eaton and Chealton. A township in the parish of Lydbury, North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow. 3 ½ miles east of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Eyton and Plowden

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Eyton and Plowden, a township in North Lydbury parish, Salop; 3 ¼ miles ENE of Bishops-Castle. Pop., 591.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eyton. A township in the parish of Lydbury North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow. 3 miles south-east of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eaton; or Eyton and Plowden. A township in the parish of Lydbury, North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow. 3 miles south-east by east of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Plowden

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Plowden. A township in the parish of Lydbury North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow. 3 ½ miles south-east by east of Bishopscastle

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Registers

The Register of St. Francis, Plowden (Roman Catholic) 1826-1837

Shropshire parish registers : Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William
Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

The Register of St. Francis, Plowden (Roman Catholic) 1826-1837 - Archive.org

Poll Books

Lydbury North, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Bishop’s Castle Polling District

Lydbury North, Parish of

222 Beckwith Henry

223 Brereton John

224 Bruce Sir Henry Hervey, Bart.

225 Cross Charles

226 Davies Edward

227 Davies Richard

228 Davies Samuel

229 Everall Edward

230 Everall Joseph

231 Gwilt Richard

232 Gwilt William

233 Hamar Thomas

234 Hodges William

235 Humphreys Edward

236 Humphreys William

237 Hurdley John

238 Jones Edward

239 Jones John

240 Lewis John

241 Luther Charles

242 Langslow Price Edward, see 2116

243 Mountford Edward

244 Newill Joseph

245 Newill Joseph, the younger

246 Newill Daniel Robert

247 Norncott Richard

248 Phillips William

249 Plowden William Henry Francis

250 Powell Thomas

251 Powell Richard, dead

252 Rolfe, the Rev. Charles

253 Robinson John, see 2034

254 Robinson Joseph

255 Robinson Thomas

256 Southern William Henry

257 Shuker John

258 Tomlins John

259 Watkin Job

260 Watkins John

261 Williams John

Directories

Lydbury North Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Lydbury North is a village and parish, comprising the townships of Acton, Brocton, Choulton, Eaton, Eyton, and Plowden and Totterton, 2 ½ miles from Plowden railway station, 4 miles from Bishop’s Castle, 8 from Craven Arms station, and 21 from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Bishop’s Castle division of Purslow hundred, Clun union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Michael is a stone building, in the Early English style. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Norbury annexed, joint yearly value £486, with residence and one acre of glebe land, in the gift of the trustee of the late Rev. John Bright, B.A., and held by the Rev. Charles Rolfe, T.A.K.C.L. A Parochial free school for boys and girls is supported by an endowment of £16 yearly, and voluntary contributions: the other charities are of the yearly value of £36 10s. A Catholic chapel, with residence for the priest, and schools, was erected in 1868; the whole forms a very handsome block of buildings; the Very Rev. Canon Tobin is in charge of the mission.

The charities are of £38 yearly value. Bury Ditches, about one mile and a half from the village, is a supposed British encampment. There is a free library, established by the Countess of Powis for the benefit of those residing in the parish and neighbourhood. Walcot Park, the residence of the Earl of Powis, is a fine brick building, with very extensive pleasure grounds. The Earl of Powis. William Plowden, Esq., (lords of the manor) John Bright, Esq.: and the Rev. William Garnett Botfield, are chief landowners. The soil is various; the subsoil, gravel, rock, clay, peat &c. The population in 1861 was 1,025; the area is 7,519 acres 0 roods 21 perches: gross estimated rental, £8, 357; rateable value, £1,431.
Acton is about three miles from the church.
Brocton is one mile and a half from the church.
Choulton is two miles from the church.
Eaton is about three miles from the church.
Eyton and Plowden township is about two miles from the church.
Totterton is one mile and a half from the church.
Lower Down is one mile from the church.
Post Office. – Richard Norncott, postmaster. Letters arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 7 15 p.m.
Lydbury North.
Powis Earl of, Walcot park
Morris Miss, The Gardens
Brereton John, farmer, Bow house
Burchell Henry, New inn
Davies Edward, farmer, The Folly
Davies Joseph, farmer, Friezeland
Guilt Richard, former, Red house
Hotchkiss Chas. farmer, Prior’s Holt farm
Jones Edward, farmer, Bow house
Jones John, shoe maker
Lawrence Edward, blacksmith
Newell Joseph, land agent
Onions William, farmer, Church Moor farm
Phillips William, farmer
Williams John, carpenter
Wood Edward, farmer, Lynch gate
Wood Nathaniel, shoe maker
Wood Richard, wheelwright
Weight May, grocer
Acton.
Luther Charles, farmer
Price George, farmer
Robinson Joseph, blacksmith
Robinson Richard, farmer
Brocton.
Beddoes William, beer retailer
Hamar Mary, miller and farmer
Lewis John, blacksmith
Marston Richard, wheelwright
Mountford Edward, landowner & farmer
Robinson Thomas, beer retailer
Tomlins John, assistant overseer, registrar of births and deaths and collector of taxes.
Woosnam Charles, farmer
Choulton.
Marstone Samuel, farmer
Watkins John, farmer
Whitall David, blacksmith
Eaton.
Watkin Job, farmer
Eyton.
Amiss Samuel, farmer
Guilt William, farmer
Luscutt John, wheelwright & carpenter
Watkins Evan, miller, Plowden mill
Watts Thomas, farmer
Plowden.
Plowden William, esq. Plowden hall
Tobin Very Rev. Canon, Presbytery
Brereton John, farmer
Lower Down.
Farmer John, farmer
Hamar Thomas, sen. farmer
Totterton.
Parry Capt. Thomas Macdonnell, Totterton hall
Shuker John, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Family History Links

Parish Registers

Census Returns (1841-1901)

Monumental Inscriptions (1667-1949)

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Clun
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Clun
  • Poor Law Union: Clun
  • Hundred: Purslow
  • Province: Canterbury