Loughton is a chapelry of Chetton Ancient Parish in Shropshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1821
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Parishes adjacent to Loughton
Historical Descriptions of Loughton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LOUGHTON, a chapelry in Chetton parish, Salop; under Brown-Clee hill, 7 miles NW of Cleobury-Mortimer r. station, and 9 NE of Ludlow. Post town, Bridgnorth. Acres, 1,015. Rated property, £600. Pop., 100. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Viscount Boyne. The living is annexed to the rectory of Chetton, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is about 300 years old. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
LOUGHTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Chetton, union of Cleobury-Mortimer, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 9 miles (N. E. by E.) from Ludlow; containing 113 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is locally separated from the main portion of the parish, and distant from it about six miles, is situated near the road from Bridgnorth to Ludlow, about ten miles from each place. It comprises 1026 acres, of which about 44 are common or waste; the soil is generally a heavy clay, and the climate is cold, being in the immediate neighbourhood of the Brown Clee hill. The chapel is a small neat structure, which, by an inscription at the chancel end, appears to have been built by Bonham Norton in 1625. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £85.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Loughton. A parish in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, a chapel consolidated with Chetton, Deuxhill, and Glazeley, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 23 houses, 119 inhabitants. 6 miles north west of Cleobury Mortimer.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Loughton Shropshire Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Cleobury Mortimer Polling District
Loughton— Parish of
1579 Hodnett James
1580 Wetherell Nathan
Family History Links
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
- Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury