Longford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Stockton and Brockton.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1674
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Longford
- Church Aston
Historical Descriptions of Longford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LONGFORD, a parish in Newport district, Salop; on a branch of the Birmingham and Liverpool canal, 1¾ mile W of Newport r. station. It includes the townships of Brockton and Stockton. Post town, Newport, Salop. Acres, 1,306. Real property, £2,478. Pop., 214. Houses, 36. The manor, with Longford Hall, belongs to R. N. Leeke, Esq. A Roman settlement was here. The parish is a meet for the Hoar Cross hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £415. Patron, R. N. Leeke, Esq. The church is modern, and has a tower; and part of the previous church adjoins it, and contains monuments of the Talbots.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Newport
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Newport
Poor Law Union: Newport
Hundred: South Bradford