Llanymynech, Shropshire Family History Guide

Llanymynech is an Ancient Parish in Shropshire and partly in Montgomeryshire.

Other places in the parish include: Carreghorn, Treprennal, Treprenal, Llwyntydmon, and Llwyntidman.

Alternative names: Llan-y-Mynech

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Agatha

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1666
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Llanymynech

Historical Descriptions

Llanymynech

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LLANYMYNECH, a village in Oswestry district, Salop, and a parish partly also in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery. The village stands on the river Vyrnwy, at the boundary with Montgomery, adjacent to the Montgomery canal and to the Cambrian railway, at the junction of the branch to Llanfyllin, near Offa's dyke, 4 ½ miles WSW of the boundary with Denbigh, and 5½ S by W of Oswestry; is a pretty place, seated on an eminence; and has a station at the railway junction, a post office under Oswestry, a handsome stone bridge over the Vyrnwy, and fairs on 1 April, 29 May, and 23 Sept. The parish contains the townships of Llwyntidman and Treprenal in Salop, and the township of Carreghofa in Montgomery. Acres of the Salop portion, 1,281. Real property, £6,545; of which £132 are in mines. Pop., 551. Houses, 109. Acres of the Montgomery portion, 1,223. Real property, £3,444; of which £30 are in mines, and £1,432 in quarries. Pop., 400. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Powis and F. West, Esq. Llanymynech Hill has an altitude of about 900 feet; commands beautiful views, particularly toward the Berwyn mountains; is traversed, along the W brow, by Offa's dyke; has been largely scarped and pierced with quarries, whence enormous quantities of mountain limestone was sent to Staffordshire to be used there in the smelting of iron ore; and seems to have been mined for copper ore, by the Romans. A large cave in it, called the Ogo cavern, was found, in 1761, to contain several human skeletons, accompanied with tools and coins of Antoninus. Other hills also are in the parish; and some of them have ancient British earth-works. Lead and zinc ores, as well as copper, have been worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £394. Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church was rebuilt in 1845; is in the Norman style; and has stainedglass E and W windows. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Llanymynech. A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry, a rectory, in the diocese of St. Asaph, and the deanery of Marchia; the church is in Denbighshire. 89 houses, 454 inhabitants. 6 miles south-west by south of Oswestry.
Llanymynech, (or neich) signifies the Church District of the Monks, and has no relation whatever to mines. It was so called, because there was formerly a monastery there. This village is on the road leading to Pool.
The Romans had mine-works in Llanymynech hill, from which they obtained considerable quantities of copper. One vestige of their work appears in an artificial cave, of immense length, called Ogo, (more properly Ogof, which is a Welch word signifying a Cave.) The windings of this cavern are numerous and intricate. Some years ago, two men endeavouring to explore it, were so bewildered in its turnings, that they were found by some men sent in search of them, prostrate on the ground, despairing of ever seeing the light again. Skeletons, culinary utensils, &c. have been discovered in this cavern. One of the skeletons had a battle-axe by its side, and a bracelet of glass beads around its wrist. Several Roman coins have also been found in this place; and not long ago many coins, mostly of Constantine, were found in a parcel of earth which was washed down the side of the hill. The hill abounds in limestone. Great numbers of men are employed in raising, breaking, and burning the stone.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Carreghorn

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Carreghorn. A township in the parish of Llanymynech, and in the hundred of Oswestry. See appendix.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Lwyntlanan

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Lwyntlanan. A township in the parish of Llanymynech, and in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Directories

Llanymynech Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Llanymynech is a village and parish, in the Northern division of the county, upper division of Oswestry hundred, and diocese of St. Asaph, six miles from Oswestry, is eighteen miles from Shrewsbury by rail, and nine miles east of Llanfyllin. The parish consists of the townships of Llanymynech, Llwyntidman, and Treprenal, in this county, the remaining portion of Carreghova being in Wales. The country around is hilly, and abounds with minerals; small portions of copper ore are found. The Chester, Ellesmere, and Newtown section of the Shropshire Union Canal, and the Cambrian and the Potteries, Shrewsbury, and North Wales Railways pass through this parish. The church of St. Agatha was rebuilt in 1845, at a cost of £2,000, of which £150 was given by the diocesan and £150 by the Incorporated Societies; the sum of £108 was raised by a parochial rate, and the remainder by private subscriptions. The living is a rectory, the composition in lieu of tithes is £380 per annum, with residence and 22 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Asaph. A School for boys and girls is supported by voluntary contributions.

At Llwyntidman there are chapels for Calvinistic and Primitive Methodists. Three fairs are held annually, viz., an the 1st of April, 20th of May, and 23rd of September. There are two lords of the manor, viz., the Earl of Powis and F. West, Esq. the principal landlords are the Earls of Bradford and Powis, the Duke of Leeds, and Lady Tyrwhitt. The parish contains 1,281 acres; the population in 1861 was 951; gross estimated rental, £3,110: rateable value, £2,765.

Letters arrive from Oswestry at 8 30 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 6 45 p.m.

Cross Mr. Harry Lockley
Elias Elijah, esq
Foulkes Rev. William
Luxmore Then. John, M.A., Rectory
Pryce John, esq., Llwnygroes hall
Morris Mrs. Newhouse
Asterley William, farmer
Baugh Richard, farmer Whiterock
Bromley Richard, farmer, Lower house
Deam Thomas, plumber and glazier
Edwards John, miller, Llwyntidman
Evans John and Sons, nurserymen, Llwyntidman
Eyeley Joseph F., surgeon
Gill Edward, farmer, Treprenal
Griffiths John, blacksmith
Griffiths William, grocer
Hackett John, tallow chandler
Harris John, tailor
Harris Joseph, carpenter, Llwyntidman
Humphreys Margaret, Cross Guns, Llwyntidman
Jeffreys John, linen manufacturer
Jones Edward, saddler and harness maker
Jones – (Miss), farmer
Jones John, coal merchant
King Frederick, Lion Inn
Lester John, mine proprietor, Llwyntidman
Lloyd David, shoe maker
Lloyd Edward, builder
Lloyd Richard, commercial traveller
Mason Edward, Dolphin Inn
Morgan Thomas, shoemaker
Morns John, shoe maker
Peate William, farmer
Perkins Charles, shoe maker
Pugh Hugh, builder
Ratcliffe’ Jane, farmer, Plascerig
Ratcliffe James, farmer, Llwyntidman
Richards Richard, Bradford Arms
Roberts Catherine Elizabeth, ladies’ school
Roberts Charles, lime merchant, Llwyntidman
Roberts Thomas, butcher
Roberts Thomas, lime burner, Llwyntidman
Roberts William, shoe maker
Rogers William, farmer, Llwyntidman
Saunders George James, farmer, Llwyntidman
Savage Elizabeth, farmer, Llwyntidman
Scott Abraham Eland, baker and grocer
Smith and Baugh, grocers
Smith Joseph, bricklayer
Thomas Thomas, farmer, Treprenal
Williams John, shoe maker, Llwyntidman
Williams Thomas, tailor
Woodall Henry, carpenter

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Parish Registers

Parish Registers of Llanymynech 1666 to 1812 - Archive.org

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Shropshire
Civil Registration District: Oswestry
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: St Asaph
Rural Deanery: Oswestry
Poor Law Union: Oswestry
Hundred: Oswestry
Province: Canterbury