Llanyblodwel, Shropshire Family History Guide

Llanyblodwel is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Abertanat, Abertanatt, Blodwell, Llynelys, Llanclys, Llyndys, and Bryn.

Alternative names: Llanyblodwell, Llan-y-Blodwel

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin: 1695

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Llanyblodwel

Historical Descriptions

Llanyblodwel

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LLANYBLODWELL, a parish in Oswestry district, Salop; on the river Tanat, near Offa's dyke, and adjacent to the boundary with Wales, 3 miles W of Llanymynech r. station, and 5½ SW by W of Oswestry. It contains the townships of Blodwell, Abertanatt, Bryn, and Llynclys; and has a post office under Oswestry. Acres, 4,694. Rated property, £5,542. Pop., 1,008. Houses, 201. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Powis. Limestone is worked, and copper and lead ores are found. A lake is at Llynclys. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Valne, £271. Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is mainly of the 14th century; includes Norman doorway and arches; was restored in 1855; had then added to it a n octagonal tower with spire; and contains a Norman font, and monuments of the Bridgmans, the Godolphins, and others. There are an endowed school with £10 a year, and a national school. The Rev. John Parker, a very distinguished Welsh archæologist, was vicar, and bore the expense of renovating the church.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Llanyblodwell. A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of St. Asaph, and the deanery of Marchia. 156 houses, 850 inhabitants. 6 miles south-west of Oswestry.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Abertannat

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Abertannat. A township in the parish of Llanyblodwell, and in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry. 1 mile south-east of Llanyblodwell.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Llynclys

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Llynchlis or Llynklis or Llynklys. A township in the hundred of Oswestry.

It is a farm-house, 2 miles distant from Oswestry, on the Llanymynech road. The Lake of Llynclys, though not of very considerable extent, is of pleasing beauty and extraordinary depth, of which various strange and superstitious traditions are prevalent. It is bordered on some of its sides with reeds and rushes of extreme length; and the flower of a white water-lilly was pulled up not for from the shore, the stalk of which measured nearly fourteen feet. The fishery is the property of Lord Clive, and the water abounds with Pike, Bream, and Dare, the first of astonishing magnitude, from the impossibility of the pools being fished otherwise than with beagles, on account of its surprising depth. It is the scene of an interesting little ballad in the Poems of John F. M. Dovaston, Esq.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Registers

Llanyblodwel Parish Registers 1695-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of St. Asaph Vol. III (1913)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Llanyblodwel Parish Registers 1695-1812 - Archive.org

The Register of Llanyblodwel, Smyrna Independent Chapel 1825-1836

Shropshire parish registers : Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William

Publisher: [London]: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

The Register of Llanyblodwel, Smyrna Independent Chapel 1825-1836 - Archive.org

Directories

Llan-y-Blodwel Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Llan-y-Blodwel is a parish, comprising the townships of Blodwel, Abertanat, Bryn, and Llynclys, in the Northern division of the county, upper division g the hundred of Oswestry, union of Llangollen, and diocese of St. Asaph, 6 miles south-south-west from Oswestry, adjoining Denbighshire. The church of St. Michael is an ancient fabric. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £271, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Asaph. Divine service is performed alternately in the Welsh and English languages. Here is a small school for boys and girls; it is supported partly by an endowment left by the Bridgman family, and partly by subscriptions; there is also a school for boys and girls at Prothywaen The other charities amount to£1 6s. yearly. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists at Prothywaen, Cefn-y-Blodwel. The Earl of Powis, the Earl of Bradford, Mrs. Perry, and John Hamer, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, limestone. The parish contains 4,500 acres; the population in 1861 was 1,008; gross estimated rental, £6,725; rateable value, £5,720.
Abertanat is a township, one mile south-east, and Bryn, one mile and a quarter north-west, from Blodwel; and Llynclys, four south-west-by-south from Oswestry.

Post office. – Henry Glascodine, receiver. Letters arrive from Oswestry at 8 5 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 6 10 p.m.

Post office, Llynclys. – Margaret Roberts, receiver. Letters arrive by mail cart from Oswestry at 7 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 7 p.m.

Assistant Overseer, Edward Probert, Porthywaen.

Railway station, Llynclys, John Williams, station master.

Llan-y-Blodwel
Edwards Miss
Foulkes Rev. Thomas Brown, M.A., Vicarage
Jones Rev. Richard (curate)
Bowen Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Davies John, farmer
Griffiths Francis, shopkeeper and baker
Jones Allen, shoe maker
Jones David, farmer
Jones David, wheelwright
Jones Evan, shopkeeper
Lewis John, beer retailer
Morris Edward, farmer, Peu-isaf-llan
Morris Richard and Thomas, farmers, Ty-isaf
Roberts David, farmer
Roberts Evan, farmer, Prospect house
Thomas Edward, farmer, Little Prospect
Ward John Walter, farmer, Blodwel hall
Williams Edward, farmer
Williams Evan, farmer

Abertanat
Davies – , farmer
Davies John, farmer
Davies William, farmer, Tyn-y-coed
Edwards Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Cefn
Edwards Robert, farmer
Edwards William, cart owner
Griffiths Richard, farmer, Garth-ucha
Jones Thomas, shopkeeper
Lawrence Samuel, farmer, Garth-issa
Lloyd William, Horseshoe Inn, and blacksmith
Pritchard John, farmer, Bryn-y-fedwen
Pritchard John, jun., farmer, Cefu
Whitfield Wm., farmer, Abertanat hall

Bryn
Hamer Mr. Charles, Tydraw
Clayton Thomas, shopkeeper
Davies John, carpenter
Davies John, farmer
Davies John, Bryn Tavern
Edwards Edward, farm bailiff to John Hamer, esq.
Griffiths William, farmer
Hamar Charles, farmer, Tydraw and Tyn-y-coed
Jones John, farmer, Coppes farm
Jones John, shoe maker
Jones William, farmer
Mansell Andrew, farmer
Moreton David, farmer, Pen-y-bont
Roberts Evan, farmer, Cefn-y-Blodwel
Roberts Richard, miller, Pen-y-bont
Roberts Robert, farmer
Watkins Richard, farmer

Llynclys
Berry John, White Lion Inn
Bromley William, sawyer, Porthywaen
Davies John, slater and plasterer, Porthywaen
Davies Thomas, Red Lion Inn
Griffiths Arthur, farmer, Nut Tree Bank
Griffiths John, farmer, Nut Tree Bank
Jones Edward, butcher, and lime works, Porthywaen
Jones John, shopkeeper
Lawrence James, baker, grocer, and provision merchant
Lawrence Samuel, farmer
Lewis Ellis, mail cart contractor
Lloyd Edward, shopkeeper
Murray John, blacksmith
Porthywaen Farmers’ Co. lime works
Probert Edward, assistant overseer, Porthywaen
Richards John, farmer
Savin and Co., coal, slate, and brick merchants, &c., Porthywaen
Williams Mary, lime works

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Oswestry
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: St Asaph
  • Rural Deanery: Llangollen
  • Poor Law Union: Oswestry
  • Hundred: Oswestry
  • Province: Canterbury