Llanfair Waterdine, Shropshire Family History Guide

Llanfair Waterdine is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1751 from a chapelry in Clun Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Trebert, Skyborry, Selley, Maneythesney, Llanvair, Funnanvair, and Clewilsey.

Alternative names: Llanvair Waterdine

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1593
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Llanfair Waterdine

Historical Descriptions

Llanfair Waterdine

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LLANVAIR-WATERDINE, a parish in the district of Knighton and county of Salop; on the river Teme at the boundary with Radnor, near Offa's dyke, 4 miles NW of Knighton r. station. It contains the townships of Llanvair, Clewilsey, Funnauvair, Maneythesney, Selly, Skyborry, and Trebert; and its Post town is Knighton, Radnorshire. Acres, 7,720. Real property, £5,730. Pop., 611. Houses, 116. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Powis. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £78. Patron, the Earl of Powis. The church was rebuilt in 1854, and is in the pointed style. There are a national school, and charities £5.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Llanvair Waterdine. A parish in the Mainstone division of the hundred of Clun. A curacy not in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. 87 houses, 477 inhabitants. 10 miles south-west of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Clewilsey

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Clewilsey. A township in the parish of Llanvair Waterdine, and in the Mainstone division of the hundred of Clun.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Funnonvair

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Funnonvair. A township in the parish of Llanvair Waterdine, and in the Mainstone division of the hundred of Clun.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Menethesney

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Menethesney. A township in the parish of Llanvair Waterdine, and in the Mainstone division of the hundred of Clun.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Selley

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Selley, a township in Llanvair-Waterdine parish, Salop; 3 ¼ miles NNW of Knighton.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Poll Books

Llanvair Waterdine, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Clun Polling District

Llanvair Waterdine, Parish of

2158 Adams Henry

2159 Ayres Edward Powell

2160 Barden Thomas

2161 Bevan Francis, dead

2162 Bevan Thomas

2163 Bowen John

2164 Bowen John, jun.

2165 Bradney Richard

2106 Bright Charles, see 1873

2107 Bright Thomas, see 1874

2168 Brown James Richard, see 1770

2169 Bafton Joseph

2170 Clee James

2171 Clee John

2172 Conway James

2173 Davies George

2174 Davies John

2175 Deakin Richard

2176 Edwards George Thomas

2177 Edwards James

2178 Edwards Richmond

2179 Evans John

2180 Evans Thomas

2181 Francis John

2182 Gardener Thomas

2183 Gough Thomas, see 1940

2184 Griffiths Edward

2185 Gwilt John

2186 Harding Thomas

2187 Hudson Daniel

2188 Jones David

2189 Jones George

2190 Jones Thomas, see 1974

2191 Jones William

2192 Kinchant John Robert Daniel

2193 Lander Walter, dead

2194 Meredith William, see 2000

2195 Meredith William

2196 Meredith John

2197 Miles Joseph

2198 Morgan John

2199 Owens Thomas

2200 Phillips Thomas

2201 Powell Henry Chester

2202 Powell Henry Penry

2203 Price Edward

2204 Price Edward

2205 Price John

2206 Richards William, see 1822

2207 Swancott Jonathan

2208 Trailor John

2209 Tudge Charles

2210 Thomas Richard

2211 Venables Thomas

2212 Wilding David

2213 Worthington Benjamin

Directories

Llanvair Waterdine Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Llanvair Waterdine is an extensive parish, separated from Radnorshire by the river Teme, 4 miles from Knighton, 6 from Clun, and 36 from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Mainstone division of Clun hundred, Knighton union, and diocese of Hereford, surrounded by lofty hills. The church of St. Mary is a handsome Gothic stone building, rebuilt in the year 1854. The register dates from the year 1593. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £100, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Powis. A school for boys and girls was built in 1855. The Earl of Powis, who is lord of the manor, James Conway, Esq., George Edwards, Esq., Mr. E. Price, Mr. E. Griffiths, Mr. John Griffiths, Mr. George Davies, Mr. John Davies, and Mr. Michael Jones are chief landowners. The charities amount to £10 yearly. The soil is sandy and gravelly: the subsoil is a green hard stone. The population of the parish in 1861 was 611; the area is 5,669 acres; gross estimated rental, £6,441; rateable value, £5,458.

Clewilsey, Funnonvair, and Menethesney are townships in this parish.

Selley township is 2 miles from Llanvair Waterdine.

Skyborry township is 2 miles from Llanvair Waterdine.

Trebert township is half a mile from Llanvair Waterdine.

Letters through Knighton.

Kinchant Rev. J. R. N., B.A., J.P., Vicarage
Adams Henry, farmer, Cwm-y-Grant
Addis William, farmer, Ten-y-Coced
Bevan Francis, farmer, Graig
Bowen John, farmer, Cwmbrian
Bowen John, farmer, Hidmore
Bright Mary, Red Lion, and farmer
Brown Benj. blacksmith and landowner
Bywater Henry, farmer, Cwmsaum
Clee James, farmer, Coed-y-Hendree
Clee Mary, farmer, Tregodfa
Clee Richd. Miller, Melling’s Grove mill
Davies Bridget, farmer, Cwmcawl
Davies George, landowner and farmer, Black hall
Davies Priscilla, farmer, Vedow
Edwards James, farmer, Brynbedw
Edwards Richmond, farmer, Skyborry
Evans John, mason
Francis Arthur, wheelwright
Gough David, farmer, Dowke
Griffiths Edward, farmer and landowner, Melling’s grove
Griffiths John, shoe maker
Griffiths William, farmer, Newhouse
Gwilt John, farmer, Blain-y-dree
Hamar William, farmer, Dyffrin
Harding Thomas, wheelwright
Hudson Daniel, farmer, Great Wain
Jones Anne, farmer, Nether Skyborry
Jones David, farmer, Green
Jones George, farmer, Penllan
Jones William, farmer, Redgate
Miles Josiah, shoe maker
Morris James, farmer, Panpunton
Owen Thomas, landowner and farmer, Pan-y
Powell Henry, farmer, Selly hall
Price Mary, farmer, Cwmcawl
Price Richard, farmer, Cwmsanum
Ruel John, farmer, Panpunton
Swancott Jonathan, farmer, Cwmcollo
Thomas Richard, farmer, Cwm
Traylor John, farmer Landtroft
Tudge Charles, farmer, Llanvair hall
Venables Thomas, farmer, Garbett hall

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Knighton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Clun
  • Poor Law Union: Knighton
  • Hundred: Clun
  • Province: Canterbury