Little Wenlock, Shropshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Lawrence

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1689
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1638

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Little Wenlock

Historical Descriptions of Little Wenlock

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WENLOCK (Little), a parish in Madeley district, Salop; under the Wrekin, 1 mile W of Horsehay r. station, and 3¼ S of Wellington. Post town, Horsehay, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 2,745. Real property, £4,345; of which £693 are in mines. Pop., 988. Houses, 191. The property belongs to Lord Forester. Coal and iron ore are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £550. Patron, Lord Forester. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Little Wenlock. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 184 houses, 965 inhabitants. 4 ½ miles south-east of Wenlock Magna, or Much Wenlock.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Shropshire Parish Documents 1902

(Little Wenlock is a parish within the borough of Much Wenlock)
Documents, etc., in the custody of the Rector. – Kept in a safe in the Vestry, viz:-
General Register, 1689 – 1748.
General Register, 1748 – 1773.
Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1773 – 1812
Register of Baptisms, 1813 – 1858
Register of Baptisms, 1858 – 1897
Register of Baptisms, 1897 – in use
Register of Banns and Marriages, 1754 – 1788
Register of Marriages. 1789 – 1812
Register of Marriages, 1813 – 1837
Register of Marriages, 1837 – in use
Register of Banns, 1823 – 1893
Register of Banns, 1894 – in use
Register of Burials, 1813 – 1898
Register of Burials, 1898 – in use
Book containing:-
Overseers’ Accounts, 1818 – 1836
Vestry Minutes, 1837 – in use
Fragments of Overseers’ Accounts, 1703 (tattered and in a great part undecipherable)
Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1775 – 1870
Miscellaneous papers.
Tithe Map and Award, dated 8th November 1839, kept  at the Rectory.
Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902.  A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894.
Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location.  Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.

Hearth Tax

Little Wenlock The Shropshire Hearth Tax Roll 1672

Format = Name; Fireharths; ll. (Pounds); s. (shillings)
Franchise of Wenlocke
Mr. William Hayward ; 10; 1; 0
William Wyncha ; 2; 0; 4
George Hayward ; 1; 0; 2
Edward Steeventon ; 1; 0; 2
Mr Worrych ; 3; 0; 6
Thomas Fletcher; [blank]

Widdowe Fletcher; (Ms. torn)
Widdowe Owsely ; 1; 0; 2
James Davies ; 1; 0; 2
Morris Griffithes ; 1; 0; 2
Richard Parton ; 1; 0; 2
William Parton ; 1; 0; 2
George Wheelewright ; 1; 0; 2
Mr. Andrew Manwaringe ; 3; 0; 6
George Gryce ; 1; 0; 2
William Wheelewright ; 1; 0; 2
William Sheaphard ; 1; 0; 2
Richard Wheelewright ; 2; 0; 4
Robert Parton ; 1; 0; 2
Widow Blakeway ; 4; 0; 8
Thomas Briscor ; 1; 0; 2
Edward Garvas ; 1; 0; 2
Mr. Foster ; 3; 0; 6
Francis Grise ; 1; 0; 2
Mathew Dodd ; 1; 0; 2
George Buttry ; 1; 0; 2
Richard Ashwood ; 2; 0; 4
John Poyner ; 1; 0; 2
Mr. John Smythyman ; 3; 0; 6
Stephen Langworth ; 1; 0; 2
John Rogers ; 1; 0; 2
Widdow Ashwood ; 1; 0; 2
Samuell Grise ; 1; 0; 2
George Grise ; 1; 0; 2
James Reade ; 1; 0; 2
John Lockly ; 1; 0; 2
Total – Fireharths – 61; ll. (Pounds) – 6; s. (Shillings) – 2

Directories

Little Wenlock Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875

Little Wenlock is a parish and village, 3 miles from Wellington, 3 from Ironbridge, and 11 from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Wenlock franchise, Madeley union, and diocese of Hereford; it is pleasantly situated under the south side of the Wrekin, commanding some fine views over a picturesque and delightful district. The Wrekin stands partly in this parish. The church of St. Lawrence is an old building in good repair. The living is a rectory, yearly value £548 8s., with residence and 9 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Lord Forester. A parochial day school is supported by children’s payments and the rector. The charities are of £5 11s.8d. yearly value. This valley is supposed to have been the scene of a battle at some remote period; in the year 1835 a labourer, in cutting a drain, about 100 yards from the road from Little Wenlock to Wellington, came upon a heap of broken spears, numbering between two and three hundred; in the immediate vicinity are five barrows, which were opened about 1840, but nothing was discovered in them. The minerals are ironstone, coal, and limestone. Lord Forester is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is a mixture of clay and gravel; subsoil, various. The area is 2,745 acres, and the population in 1861 was 988; gross estimated rental, £4,559; rateable value, £4,188.
  
Huntingdon is a hamlet, 1 mile east from the church.
  
Coalmore is a hamlet, 1 mile south from the church.
  
Letters are received through Wellington.

Little Wenlock
  
Edmonds Rev. George, M.A., Rectory
  
Edmonds William, esq., Rectory
  
Edwards Edward, esq. Leasowes
  
Banks James, shoe maker
  
Boore Mary, shopkeeper
  
Brisbane Mr., farmer
  
Davis Thomas, farmer and maltster
  
Finney George, Swan inn
  
Harper Daniel, farmer, Wrekin farm
  
Harries Edwin Alex., Spread Eagle inn
  
Jones Edward, Peacock inn
  
Jones John, farmer
  
Morris John, blacksmith
  
Morris Richard, blacksmith, New works
  
Morris Richard, Labour-in-vain Inn, Horsehy
  
Owen Thomas, farmer
  
Peake William, shopkeeper, New works
  
Steele George, farmer, Moors farm
  
Walker Edward, wheelwright
  
Webster George, farmer, The Willow moors
  
Huntingdon
  
Dawes Benjamin, maltster
  
Pooler William, farmer
  
Yates Katherine, farmer
  
Coalmore.
  
Boycott Thomas, shopkeeper
  
Getley Edward, farmer
  
Shepherd Richard, farmer
  
Wall William, beer retailer
  
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Shropshire
Civil Registration District: Madeley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Hereford
Rural Deanery: Wenlock
Poor Law Union: Madeley
Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough
Province: Canterbury