Linley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1700 from chapelry in Broseley Ancient Parish.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St. Leonard
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1859
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1859
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
- Astley Abbots
Historical Descriptions of Linley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LINLEY, a parish in Madeley district, Salop; on the Severn Valley railway, 2½ miles SW by S of Broseley, and 4 NW by N of Bridgnorth. It has a station on the railway; and its Post town is Broseley, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 628. Real property, £841. Pop., 94. Houses, 19. The property is divided between two. The manor belongs to Lord Forester. Linley Hall was formerly the seat of the Lacon family. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Broseley, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is Saxon, has a tower, and was repaired in 1859.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Linley. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop, holden with Broseley. 19 houses, 96 inhabitants. 2 ½ miles south-east of Broseley.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Linley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Madeley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wenlock
Poor Law Union: Madeley
Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough