Kynnersley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: Kinnersley
Parish church: St. Chad
Parish registers begin: 1691
Parishes adjacent to Kynnersley
- Great Bolas
- Ercall Magna
- Eyton on the Weald Moors
- Preston upon the Weald Moors
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KINNERSLEY, a parish in Wellington district, Salop; adjacent to the Shrewsbury and Newport canal, 4 miles NNE of Wellington r. station. It has a post office, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 1,789. Real property, £2,739. Pop., 208. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. There is an ancient British camp, called the Wall. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £442. Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church is ancient and good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Kinnersley. A parish in the Newport division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a rectory in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 48 houses, 253 inhabitants. 4 miles north-east by north of Wellington.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Kinnersley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Kinnersley is a parish and village, 4 miles from Wellington, and 13 ½ from Shrewsbury, in the Northern division of the county, Newport division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington union, and diocese of Lichfield, situated on the Weald Moors, between Wellington and Newport. The church of St. Chad is an old stone building in the Early English style. The living is a rectory, yearly value £480 and 81 acres of glebe land, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Sutherland. There is a school, which is chiefly supported by the Duke of Sutherland and the Rector. About half a mile from the village is a large rampart, which encloses upwards of 20 acres of land, and surrounds the buildings of the Wall Farm; the encampment is supposed by some to be British The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is sandy; the subsoil is chiefly red sandstone. The population of the entire parish in 1861 was 208; the area is 1,789 acres; gross estimated rental, £3,133; rateable value, £2,871.
Post Office. – Richard Williams, postmaster Letters arrive from Wellington at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4 45 p.m.
Burn Rev. Andrew, M.A. Rectory
Hooper Mrs. Ann Mary
Berks William, shopkeeper
Brown Thomas, farmer
Davies John, shoe maker
Dean William, wheelwright
Gough William, boot and shoe maker
Heath Thomas, shopkeeper
Hooper George Harry, farmer
Hughes Thos. & Geo. farmers, Wall farm
Ogle Richard, farmer
Taylor Sarah, farmer, Sydney house
Weston Richard, farmer
Weston William, blacksmith
Williams Richard, Crown Inn, & farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Wellington (Shropshire)
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Newport
- Poor Law Union: Wellington
- Hundred: South Bradford
- Province: Canterbury